Motorcycle Books...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Boudreaux, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Active Member

Well, aside from taking the MSF course, I want to read to prepare for motorcycling on public roads.
    A short trip over to the nearby Barnes and Nobles lead me here:
    There are 3 books that seem to be what I'm looking for...
    1) Twist of the wrist: This book seems more track oriented so I'm not big on getting it...yet
    2) Ride hard, Ride Smart: (or something like that) seem
    and 3) Total Control
    Ride Hard and Total Control seemed to be pretty good choices, however, one of them seemed to be more about how to approach riding on the streets, and the other seemed to be more about technigues you use when riding the bike and how to handle it on public roads.
    If you've read any of these, esp. the 2 bottom titles, I'd appreciated your opinion. I'll probably end up owning both, but which would be more a of a general help to my riding safely on public roads, the one about technique or the one about how to "moniter" the public roads. I forget which was which.
    Thanks...

2. Frequency

Frequency New Member

3. Dranian

Dranian (..)

theres a book by patrick hahn(i think thats how its spelled) that i've been reading called "how to ride a motorcycle"(i found it at several borders stores and not barnes and noble, though they could order it for you.) i just passed my MSF course last weekend and this book is really good for beginners. has advice on strategies to keep you safe, gear selection, first bike, tools and basics of maintenance, parking lot practice drills, and lots more. definately a recommended read for a beginner. it also recommends other reading in that book. numbers 2 and 3 on your list are in there but i havent read them yet. after i finish this book i'm going to read total control probably and then ride hard, ride smart.

i'm currently buying all my gear and then i'm gonna buy my first bike but since i don't have a bike yet i feel twist of the wrist can wait until i have at least a thousand miles under my belt and feel more than comfortable with the basics. just another newbies opinion though...

4. V!

V! New Member

Try some of the internet message boards for bikes

They have some of the best information and lots of experienced people

Do you know what type of bike you will be getting?

5. z31maniac

z31maniac *insert witty remark*

"Sport Riding Techniques" by Nck Ienastch (The guy who wrote "The Pace")

And "Proficient Motorcycling" and "More Proficient Motorcycling" are all EXCELLENT reads.

6. Heyhey

Heyhey New Member

I have the Sport Riding Techniques book, its very informative