Moto V551 ... v.more problems...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Raithan, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Raithan

Raithan :wackit:

Ok, so a couple of questions about my V551.. I've seen my questions addressed a few times, but never with any real concrete answers. So, I'm hoping that you guys here can help me out...

The phone fucks up for me a lot.
    First things first: About 30-50% of the time I flip it open, I just get a multicolored screen, and I have to close it and reopen it for it to be normal again... Is there a way to fix this?

Next thing: I have had the phone for less than a year and I have a problem with the earpiece (The actual earpiece on the phone, not the earbud). A majority of the time, I will not be able to hear anything in it unless I give the screen a solid tap with my finger.. Obviously, this sounds hardware related, but is this a common problem and could I possibly fix it?

Lastly: Would it be worth it to switch from the V551 to the MPx220? :dunno:

Thanks, guys. :noes:

2. nugzalot

nugzalot OT Supporter

The lesson I have learned is.. Moto sucks. I've had a 551, 600, Razr, V60. They all sucked. I personally like Nokia, if only the 8801 was cheaper..

I had really bad blank screen problems when opening with the V600. It was by far the worst of all Motorola phones I have had, the 551 wasn't much better.

3. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

blame moto's quality control

4. Raithan

Raithan :wackit:

I know how you feel.. I've had a V66, T720, and V551 and all of them have pissed me off... But I really want a new flip phone, I don't like the candy-bar style phones..

5. nugzalot

nugzalot OT Supporter

I had a Nokia 6170 flip, it was a nice phone but the screen wasnt all that. Limited resolution and contrast. Moto does have the slickest flips out, I'm using a Nokia 6230 candy bar right now waiting for the 8801 to be <500

6. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

Get p2ktools and edit the 'gain' SEEM file. I did this on mine. You can adjust the earpiece and speakerphone volumes.

SEEM map: http://xlr8.us/hofo/map.txt

Howto edit SEEM files: http://xlr8.us/hofo/

Only probs I've had with my V551 is it locked up once on me while using the camera. Hit the 'capture' button and the screen just froze. Tried hitting the pwr button, closing the face, etc, but it just stayed frozen. Had to remove and reinsert the battery to reboot it. :hs:

7. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

Those are both VERY common problems with the v series. Make sure to power cycle the phone once a day at least. You've got about a 30% chance of getting a good V551 (referb or new) from Cingular. Stay away from moto unless you go with the MPX. I love mine :bowdown:

8. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

I pawned my V771 off on my wife and converted her from TDMA to GSM when I got my Blackberry 7100g. She hates it and cries everyday about how much it sucks. Next phone she gets, we're going back to Nokia, the only brand out of 12+ phones we've owned that I've never been pissed at.

9. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

I like my cdma v710 :x:

10. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

I'm on my second v551 due to warranty, and the earpiece is going on this one just like my last. Calling tomorrow for another replacement since originally buying in April.

11. Under_Fire

Under_Fire Duck and Run

same story

12. Lick Harrass

Lick Harrass New Member

I dunno bout you guys, but I have an Moto I830 and never had any major problems with it. Maybe something in the programming, but I doubt it.

13. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

I'm on my second and the screen just went out.

First one never could get signal, had a friend who never could hear anything, had another friend who could hear just fine but the person on the other end couldnt hear him...

Thats just with 551's, I know a few people that have had some fucked up razr's too.

Moto=shit

14. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

I called Cingular today, and told them that my issue and told them there is no way in hell I'm going through a cell phone every 4 months. She agreed and is sending me a Sony Ericsson that pretty much looks just like it with all the same features. Being that my last phone was a SE T616, I'll be more then happy with it I'm sure.

15. Sssnake

Sssnake meh

I was given a 551 by my work and I hate the damn thing. Battery life sucks, I can't turn off the stupid side buttons so they are constantly getting pushed in my pocket and the browser is junk. I am going to trade mine in but my next one needs to have a qwerty keypad for text messaging because I have a couple deaf friends and text messaging is all I can use with them. (thinking sidekick or a treo)
    either way this thing is history next week.

16. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

1) Mine lasts 3-4 days between charges. :dunno: Seems fine to me.
    2) Edit the SEEM files and you can reprogram the side buttons.
    3) Browser IS junk. That's what J2ME is for. Download and install Opera's mobile browser (same with the built-in AIM client- get a Java one).

17. Turbonegro

Turbonegro New Member

siemens sk65 ftw...

[/random thought]

18. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

if its the z520 you'll love it. :bowdown:

19. WickedLou9

WickedLou9 Deep cover terrorist gerbil

I have a V551 and it's been great. :dunno:

The battery life is awesome. I am trying to remember when I charged it last, must have been monday? It's friday now and the thing still shows 2 bars out of 3. It works fine and never gives me any problems. I really like the mobile phone tools. You can put whatever you want on the phone. It also makes adding new numbers really easy. The blue tooth connection is also a plus. I have downloaded all sorts of games from the netand just installed them right onto the phone. Same with graphics and ringtones.

The side buttons are a pain though... and the camera is so bad that it's not really worth using.