motivation

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by bigdamray, Apr 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

from elitefts.........some will understand...some will not....

Dave Barno is an example of someone who could. Dave basically symbolized that adage, “I will go until the wheels fall off.” This guy had a list of injuries that would make even the most experienced surgeon cringe. Pec surgery, shoulder surgery, triceps surgery, hamstring surgery, quad surgery, etc. He even had a swollen brain that was caused by head butting the bar. After each surgery, we would wonder, “Can Dave make it back?” And make it back he did EVERY single time.

Dave would do a meet, hit a monster total, and in the process, blow something off, only to rehab it and come back to do the same thing again. He took the term hardcore and the ability to deal with pain to a whole new level. He was what every person—not just lifter—should be. He was a man who ignored dire circumstances because his desire was more important than his circumstances. Dave wanted to be a great lifter, and he didn’t care what it took to get there. If it meant more surgery, so be it. If it meant dealing with pain, that was fine with him. If it meant ripping himself apart, he was willing. He had a dream to pursue, and he was dammed if he was going to let something like pain hold him back.

Dave and I used to email quite a bit, and he would regal me with his stories. He was one of a kind. Incredibly, the last email that I received from him was about a week before he passed away. He told me that his back was killing him and he couldn’t squat, but he was still trying to pull. When Dave passed away, it was revealed that not only was his back killing him, but he was actually suffering from a broken back. Can you imagine that? He was walking around and trying to train with a freaking broken back. It kind of makes our pulled hamstring or strained peck seem so less serious. Dave wouldn’t even let a broken back keep him from reaching for the stars.

Sadly, it was his back that contributed to his demise, as he got an infection that eventually killed him. However, he’s an example of a guy who persevered to the point of insanity, and that’s why I will NEVER forget him, what he stood for, or what he accomplished. He was the TRUTH, and he was a guy who everyone should look up to because he knew what lifting was all about.

2. jonno

jonno New Member

Henry Rollins - The Iron is my favorite motivational article

3. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

u had to post this on my leg day...

when i fully tore my PCL... i played a couple downs after... my friends are all :bowdown: cuz of it... but that's just me.....

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: to dave.... RIP

4. Drewski

Drewski New Member

I worked out with a broken nail once :o

5. Fabian

Fabian Active Member

is he animal

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.