SRS Motivation.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by interpol, Mar 7, 2005.

1. interpol

interpol you can't spell basement without semen

Okay,

What do you guys do to get motivated?

With anything that I'm not incredibly passionate about, I find it extremely hard to get motivated. In school, I'd only get work done the night before - even in my final year I'd push the absolute limits as far as extending deadlines etc goes.

I worked in IT through school and thoroughly enjoyed it, but I stopped for my last year in school in an attempt to give myself more time to not do school work in. Now that I'm out of school, I'm trying to run my own web development business, but I'm finding it really hard to get my shit together.

What do you guys suggest I do to help myself?

2. Tensai81

Tensai81 OT Supporter

sounds like your life is run by deadlines, (waiting till the last min to do things) start setting your own deadlines before the actual one, example: if something needs to be done on Wednesday, have it completed by Tuesday. You can also do the whole reward/punish approach if you don't reach those deadlines. I went through the same thing when I was in High School, most of my homework was done in first period the day of. After I graduated college I made a pact with myself doing the reward/punish thing and it's worked out well.

3. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Refrain from doing things that you aren't motivated to do. Do things that you are passionate about... and do them obsessively. You're young, and you can get on the responsibility track later. Pick something you love to do, and obsess over it for a few years.

4. interpol

Actually, I don't really have any deadlines now, which pretty much leads to nothing getting done. My timeframes I set with clients have generally been pretty flexible, and at the moment I want to get my site done but theres nobody 'cracking the whip' so to speak.

5. interpol

I don't really have any/many interests, this is the closest thing I've got to giving me satisfaction so I stick to it.

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

In that case, it should be your primary task to find interests. People without interests quickly become miserable adults.

As to the work: Sign contracts, have concrete deadlines in them, with payment to be recieved upon delivery. Do some research on this on google... web work contracts. It sounds like you need the fire under your pants. So build it into your work relationships. You can make more money this way too.

7. interpol

I've always preferred the concept of the 'boring' corporate world.

Not really into anything to do with sport, I'm bored of cars and riding. I've tried a lot of things but can't really find anything 'worthy' (I know that sounds pathetic) for me to spend my time on. Straying a bit from the topic at hand now..

As far as interests in the workplace (where I'm lacking motivation), there's not much else out there for me as there's no way I'd do a hard labor job and if I have to study any more I think I'd snap and kill a whole bunch of people. Networking and the arty side of IT is about all I'm qualified to do right at the moment, other than a dead end retail sort of job. At the moment I'd like to jump into a career rather than waste my time with that stuff too.

I think I know what I want - then again if I do, it shouldn't be so hard to get stuck into huh?

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I think you need a manual labor job. I think you need ass busting hard work. I think you need to work so hard you go home and wail from the pain in a hot tub for two weeks. After you do that... you'll kinda appreciate your corporate job more. Whats more, it will teach you some discipline. I think you should get into construction for a few months, in order to get your shit together.

9. interpol

Funny enough my father owns a construction co. and working with him is why I say I can't do that shit. A day is enough for me to have a whole lot more respect for what I get paid for but it doesn't really seem to last.

Thanks for the suggestions, these are good but I'm difficult. :hs:

10. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

Try writing yourself out a to do list. Perhaps if you can actually see what needs to get done and then check off things as you do them, perhaps you can reward yourself with a little something at the end of the day/week.

I have to do lists for many things, home, personal, work, side biz etc. I keep them all on my PDA and check it every few hours or so.

if you don't have one try making out a checklist, or even putting individual "to do's" on post it notes and peel one off the screen (or wherever they are posted) as you get things done.

A quote someone posted on here a year or so ago, that got me to thinking: "Get busy, or get busy dying." I've been working on time management improvement over the last year or so. I've done pretty damn good but there is ALWAYS room for improvement.

11. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You need a holiday in Cambodia. You need to live somewhere outside of the west.

12. Britney Spears

Britney Spears New Member

Beverly Hillz, California *~ I LOVE FANMAIL! ~* Je
  13. b1ue

b1ue it only hurts the first time...

^--rotfl.

eat legal speed. I have the same prob as you, but I just pill myself up, and get massive amounts of motivation.

14. Britney Spears

Britney Spears New Member

Beverly Hillz, California *~ I LOVE FANMAIL! ~* Je
    why rolf? Sure beats drugs.