Mothers Gold Clay Bar....questions...

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by tommyortom, Jul 28, 2005.

1. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

im a newb to clay bars..i used to be just a wash/wax guy...now im experimenting..and liking my results!

anyways.....i was reading the box...and it said that you should replace the clay after 3 normal sized cars were done w/ it. do they really only last that long? or is it just a common statement on someones product to get you to buy more?

also...are you supposed to knead it everytime you start claying a new panel? or just keep going on the same spot of clay, and just re-knead it after you pull it out for another car?

also, can you just buy the clay bar..not the kit? i bought the kit at autozone for 14 bucks.....but id rather just keep on buying the clay bar if i do need new ones....

other then that..i feel pretty confident using clay even though i just did my first car with it....but is there anything else i should know about? tips/tricks?

[​IMG]

2. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

You can just buy the clay. You have to Call Mother's to order their Clay.

Just buy clay magic or whoever you can find the cheapest clay at. AutoMagic just won a lawsuit that gives them the patent on clay in the US so everyone's going to be buying from them.

I kneed it after every panel or whenever it starts to get dirty. I'll use a piece and then when I see it starting to get dirty, then it'll be moved off to the side for use on lower panels for road gunk that didn't come off during normal washing. After it takes a beating there, then it's in the trash. Clay picks up a good bit of junk so you'll want to replace it.

Also, for ease of use, cut the big bar into smaller pieces. If you end up dropping a piece, then you don't ruin the whole bar.

3. Moose

Moose New Member

i bought meguiars scratch x, should i use a clay bar additionally?

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Yes. ScratchX won't remove bonded contaminants like a clay bar will.

---------------

To answer the original post, yes you should regularly replace the clay bar. If it gets build up with gunk that it pulls off your paint, it may end up scratching the paint. Most paint/supply stores carry clay bars, usually the Meguiars and Clay Magic. The blue bars work best for the average person. The red bars are very aggressive and will mar the paint and require polishing to remove it. The reason you'd use a red bar is for severe overspray problems.

5. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

what do i do about the clay bar sticking to my hands while using it? i started on the front of my car and worked my way down one side to the back, not including the roof. by the time i was doing my trunk..the clay started to stick to my hands, and was getting tough to get off. the clay was still working fine, it was just getting annoying to have it stuck on my hands.