Motherboard Question...ABIT Ai7

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by PSUPef2K, Jun 22, 2005.

1. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

So I built my own PC last year and everything has been great. The stats are as follows.

• ABIT Ai7 Motherboard
    • Intel Pentium 4 3.20e CPU
    • 1GB Kingston HyperX Ram
    • Aspire X-Dreamer II Case
    • Fortron 400w PSU (which says it supports P4's up to 3ghz)
    • ATI Radeon 9600XT video card
    • Dual 120GB SATA Hard drives

Now, recently my uGuru software that came with the board has been setting off an alarm about the PWM temperature getting too high (70-75 Celcius :eek3: ) in large load circumstances such as games. The PWM is the power management circuit I believe. I have read many people have this problem with the abit ai7 board and have contacted their technical support. Should I underclock my CPU to 3.0ghz since the PSU says it only supports processors to 3ghz? Would that impact this issue? Voltages are all correct according to the uGuru software. Also, my processor, the 3.2e prescott chip, is running at about 65-70 Celcius under load, which I've been told, is not bad for a prescott chip, so I am not that worried about that.

I have started to take measures against the component temperature in my machine by ordering a new CPU HSF from coolermaster, a large 120mm fan for rear exhaust, and 2 80mm fan for front intake. I have gotten my temp readings with the stock case cooling in my X-dreamer II case and will probably be installing the new fans this evening. Hopefully this solves the issue, but if not, do any of you have thoughts on this? Anyone have this board and experience a similar issue? If so, let me know.

Thanks in advance!

2. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

I've read that. Couldn't I just bump up the alarm level for the PWM temp if that is the case? Like move it from 75C to 85C, so it doesn't keep setting the system alarm off?

3. PurpleSplat

PurpleSplat Guest

I have no idea. :eek3:

4. Lasu

Lasu 2.0

Either way, but that particular board does have a faulty temp sensor. They are releasing a new revision in the very near future, might even consider just replacing it then. :dunno:

5. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

So it's a hardware problem? :mad:

I guess no hope for a bios flash fixing it. :mad:

6. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

So, for sure, I don't need to underclock my processor?

7. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

holy shit dude, you need to relax. :ugh2:

Fuct just flipped on me because I'm not grasping the concept of where to secure a temp sensor to the damn chip. :wtf:

I don't want to put the tape somewhere I shouldn't, so I'm trying to clarify.

Thinking of getting an Aerogate 3 from coolermaster to monitor my CPU and PWM temps, as apparently the sensors on this board add 10-15C to the actual temps. :hs:

I'm sorry fuct. :hs: Forgive me? Your advice has been very helpful. :hs:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2005
  8. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

I will figure it out and probably get the coolermaster Aerogate3, just to see if my mobo temp readings are accurate, or are indeed, off by 10 degrees or so.

Thanks for your help man. :hug:

9. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

You can unblock me fuct. :hsugh:

10. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

I added the new coolermaster heat sink + fan for the cpu, the 120mm fan, and the 2 80mm fans in the front. The temperature hasn't changed that much :(

The damn PWM is still heating up to close to 80C. I've emailed ABIT tech support, looked on abit forums, and I can't find a solution to this issue. Apparently its a problem with the board itself? Anyone have any other advice?

11. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

That won't be compatible with the socket 478 chip will it? Details?

12. Capa

Capa New Member

turn the temp alarm off on the board lol...and get another sensor and just monitor it yourself with a fan controllor or such....

13. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

Should I just get a new motherboard that doesn't have this PWM issue? :hs:

14. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

my post on ABIT Forums:

ABIT Ai7 Motherboard Temperature Issues (PWM)
    I know this has been posted before, but I was wondering if there was something specific with my setup I could change to fix the problem. Any advice?

I built my own PC last year and everything has been great. The stats are as follows.

Aspire X-Dreamer II Case
    ABIT Ai7 Motherboard
    Intel Pentium 4 3.20e CPU
    1GB Kingston HyperX Dual Channel Ram (2x512)
    Fortron 400w PSU (which says it supports P4's up to 3ghz)
    ATI Radeon 9600XT video card
    Dual 120GB SATA Hard drives
    Hauppauge PVR-150 TV tuner Card
    Dell 2005FPw Widescreen Flatpanel
    LG DVD-ROM (broken, getting replaced soon)
    Plextor CD-RW
    COOLERMASTER 80mm Rifle Blue LED Light Cooling Fan/Heatsink
    2 80mm intake fans on the front
    1 120mm exhaust fan on the back
    1 80mm exhaust fan on the top
    1 80mm intake fan on the side directly above the processor
    Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2

Now, recently my uGuru software that came with the board has been setting off an alarm about the PWM temperature getting too high (70-78 Celcius) in large load circumstances such as games. The PWM is the power management circuit I believe. I have read many people have this problem with the abit ai7 board and have contacted their technical support. Should I underclock my CPU to 3.0ghz since the PSU says it only supports processors to 3ghz? Would that impact this issue? Voltages are all correct according to the uGuru software. Also, my processor, the 3.2e prescott chip, is running at about 65-70 Celcius under load, which I've been told, is not bad for a prescott chip, so I am not that worried about that.

I have started to take measures against the component temperature in my machine by ordering a new CPU HSF from coolermaster, a large 120mm (thermaltake) fan for rear exhaust, and 2 80mm fans (aspire) for front intake. I have gotten my temp readings with the stock case cooling in my X-dreamer II case and installed the new fans and HSF last night. The temps dropped a bit, and I tried some different configurations with the stock fans that came with the case being turned off (a side 80mm intake fan and top exhaust 80mm fan). Anyone have this board and experience a similar issue? If so, let me know.

Should I get a better PSU? A better case, perhaps thermaltake, since apparently the air flow in my X-Dreamer II from Aspire sucks? Should I get a different motherboard? Should I get a new case, mobo and PSU? I am not overclocking at all, I just don't want to damage my CPU or Mobo and be able to play Battlefield 2 without getting this damn alarm for my PWM. Any help would be appreciated. I even tried underclocking my CPU in the BIOS down to 3ghz since my powersupply said it only supports up to 3ghz, but that didn't help either.

Thanks in advance!