Motherboard/Processor Installation Problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 3l_Chupacabra, Aug 18, 2004.

1. 3l_Chupacabra

3l_Chupacabra New Member

I just bought a new processor, new motherboard, and new RAM for my computer, put it all together, and put it in, but when I turn on the computer nothing boots, the monitor does a self check and nothing happens. I've checked and rechecked all the connections, made sure the RAM is in all the way, made sure the video card is in all the way, tried a different video card, taken the processor out and put it back in many times, but still nothing. The floppy drive won't seem to work right, so updating the BIOS didn't work. Any suggestions on what to do in this scenario or what could possibly be going wrong?

2. Ayutollah

Ayutollah Guest

sounds like a dead mobo

3. Atlantis

Atlantis Guest

A few things come to mind.

Make sure you've setup the power switch in the back right. Some have a little switch from 110 / 220 (USA/Europe). Be sure you have all your power cables hooked up right & that all your pc cords are plugged in & try replacing a few, just to be sure.

Take one of your rams out & switch. Could be one of them is bad.

Double check your motherboard settings (not just the Bois), but it there is anything you have to do for diff. CPU's. Try removing the sound card, not just changing the video. Also, if you have a second PC, try using the current CPU in that one.

If all this fails, replace motherboard.

4. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

most likely not. It sounds like its not posting.

Is the clear cmos jumper on?

Maybe the motherboard doesn't support the cpu you have? or memory.

What kind of cpu, motherboard, and ram r u using?

5. 3l_Chupacabra

3l_Chupacabra New Member

Penitum 4 3 ghz 800 mhz fsb

it's an Intel motherboard with the 875p chipset

using 2 Kingston 256 mb 400 mhz DDR RAM

Did a lot of research, pretty damn sure they are all compatible, got the stuff from newegg.com, if the motherboard is bogus, am I able to send it back or am I just screwed? Because I'm leaving for college soon so don't really have the cash for a new motherboard and the new processor and ram I bought wouldn't work with my old motherboard, so it'd all be a huge waste. I tried updating the BIOS since I still think thats the problem, but the motherboard doesn't seem to be recognizing the floppy drive at all, the only time I got any response out of it was when I plugged it in backwards, then the light on it just stayed on all the time to tell me it was in backwards.

Wow, this really sucks, gotta get this fixed in under a week so it's ready for when I leave.

On a side note, all this is being updated from my old computer, so I know the power supply is good, the only new things are the motherboard, the processor, and the RAM

Last edited: Aug 18, 2004
  6. waldo98

waldo98 OT Supporter

If the motherboard is bad and you bought it from newegg, you gotta get in touch with them so they can ship you a replacement.

7. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

if the floppy drive doesn't work either then maybe it is dead.

8. Person

Person Guest

make sure if your computer has the little 4 ping connector on the mobo that you plugged it in. many times that plug is simply overlooked.