Motherboard installation problems - Need help!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by oasis, Mar 31, 2004.

1. oasis

oasis Guest

I have been trying to install an Aopen AX34U Pentium 3 motherboard in an older Pentium 2 system. I currently have 2 hard drives: one(primary) with WinXP; the other with Win98.

It POSts, but after the WinXP screen with build, system processor, memory etc. information the next screen says Windows failed and there are options for Safe Mode, Safe Mode w/ Networking, Safe Mode w/ Command Prompt, Last Known Config., and Load Windows Normally. I've tried all the options without success and this will repeat this sequence over and over again saying that Windows failed to load...

Now if I boot from the secondary hard drive with Win98 it works. Everything works fine if I swap the old motherboard back in. Any ideas...?

2. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

let me get this straight..

you installed winxp onto a hard drive while it was installed on your old mobo. then you swapped out the old mobo and expect the winxp system to boot on the new one?

doesn't work unless the motherboards are very similar. you will have to reinstall winxp.

win98 is more tolerance to different mobo resources, which is why it works.. you probably went through 10 minutes of win98 detecting new mobo resources.

3. oasis

oasis Guest

Thanks crotchfruit...I did go through this:

doh!

4. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

You can try running a repair on xp and that might work, but not a for sure thing. If you have the old system still, you can hook the xp drive up, boot into safe mode and remove all the device drivers then turn the system off. Xp will then find the new hardware when you boot up with the new system and prompt you to install drivers.

5. Gaylord Focker

Gaylord Focker 8=oOOo=D ~ ~ ~

just run the xp installation again and choose to repair. you'll have all your old settings and programs intact. i've switched mobos several times while keeping the hd.

6. oasis

oasis Guest

OK, I tried this and eventually it asks for the administrator's password. I enter it, but what do I do when a command line appears?

7. oasis

oasis Guest

Do I do this in "Device Manager?

8. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Wrong "repair". The first time repair is an option, don't take it. That's the DOS-like recovery console. Tell it you're installing Windows. Then it scans the hard disks and where you would normally create/delete partitions, it shows "c:\windows" on hard disk 0. Look at the bottom of the screen and r=repair should be an option. Take that one.

9. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Yes.