motherboard and cpu question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by pho real srsly, Jan 3, 2004.

1. pho real srsly

pho real srsly Active Member

my friend jus ordered some parts and i checked 'em out.......he bought asus p4p8x motherboard and p4 2.6c hyper threading cpu with 800fsb........he said he bought 'em from newegg.com and on the website, the p4p8x board supports 800fsb......but when he got the motherboard and looked in the manual and stuff, it doesn't say anything about supporting 800fsb.....did he buy the wrong motherboard??? on the asus website it says 800fsb is "overclocking" and the rest r fine......oh and it also says "amazing 800fsb overclocking" on the box of the motherboard......how would this work?? what does he have to do to make that processor work at 800fsb?? my friend needs an answer but didn't know who to ask......thanx

2. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

1) Plug processor into mobo
    2) Build the rest of the system (add ram, drives, etc., put it all in a case)
    3) Turn it on and enter teh bios
    4) enable hyperthreading, and PAT or MAM
    5) install OS of choice
    6) ???
    7) Profit!

3. Captain Amazing

Captain Amazing OT Supporter

I got the same setup. Jus go into the BIOS and from there you can enable the HT. Thats weird though, because my manual for my P4P8X says it supports HT as does the box.

4. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

there might be two versions of the mobo...I know for my asus NF7-S mobo, v1.x had only 166FSB, whereas the newer 2.0 support 200MHz

5. pummer

pummer New Member

It'll work. What it's saying is you can overclock over and above 800mhz FSB if you have a supported proc. So he's fine. Plug it in and OC that bitch :big grin:

6. pho real srsly

thanx for the info but i mean....it says it supports hyper threading but i wasn't sure if it actually supported 800mhz fsb.....so if hyper threading is enabled, it runs at 800mhz fsb?? sorry i dunno anything about comps

7. pho real srsly

this "processor" or the socket on the motherboard supports 533/400mhz fsb......that's what it says on the manual....hyper threading = 800mhz fsb?

8. pho real srsly

what is PAT and MAM?