GUN Mother and son held in shooting

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Feb 27, 2007.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

ST. LOUIS COUNTY — One teenager was killed and a second was injured Monday after a mother and son opened fire on a group of youths who had come to their home looking for a fight.

Witnesses estimated the size of the group of young men at between 12 and 30. They came to the family's house in the 1100 block of Prigge Avenue, near Larimore Road in the Spanish Lake area, to challenge a 16-year-old boy to a fight just after 3 p.m., authorities said.

The disagreement had begun at Hazelwood East High School, police and witnesses said.

The crowd called for the boy to come outside and fight, according to authorities and witnesses. The boy's older brother, 18, showed up at the door with a baseball bat, but the group of teens continued calling for their target to appear. They pelted the house with rolled-up newspapers and rocks.

"It was like a swarm of bees," the brother said later.

The mother of the boys came out on the stoop with a handgun, and the boy finally came out — but armed with a rifle, authorities and witnesses said.

"They both began shooting, and the (teens) started running off," said Lindsay Hellyer, who was visiting her mother across the street. "I've never seen anything like this."

Hellyer estimated that the mother fired five to 10 shots and that the son fired about 15 at the fleeing group of teens.
    One account wonder what the others say and more importantly the tape
    The boy who was killed was 16. Another, also 16, was being treated for injuries described as not life-threatening. Their names were not immediately available.

Police arrested the mother, age 51, and the younger son. They had not yet been charged Monday night. Both weapons were recovered, authorities said.

The two remained in custody this morning, said Sgt. Rick Eckhard, spokesman for the St. Louis County Police Department. He said police would hand their findings over to prosecutors this morning for a decision on whether to file charges.
    held without charges filed nice

The father of the young men and husband of the woman charged said he gave police a videotape of the incident from his home security system.

He said his heart aches for the boy who was killed, but he maintained that his wife and son were the victims in the altercation.

He said he had been rehabbing a house in the neighborhood and headed home after he saw the group of boys gathering. He tried to fend them off as they rushed the door, he said.

The father said that his sons have been harassed at school and that some youths had tried to start a fight with them earlier in the day.

"It saddens me to see these kids acting like barbarians out there, attacking my family," he said.

He said his wife and son acted in self-defense. "I feel that both of them acted within the scope of the law," he said.

The father said his family has been targeted for years because he is an outspoken community activist who tries to improve the neighborhood and combat crime. He said he installed the surveillance camera at his house after past incidents.

He said he legally owns the guns involved and used them for hunting.

Hazelwood School District Superintendent Chris L. Wright issued a statement saying the district would have additional security and police on hand at the school today.

"We are sickened by the senseless death of our student," Wright said in the statement. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family. We have made arrangements to send crisis counselors to the school … to support our children and our staff members."
    I am sure they were in the honors program

The incident left neighbors of the family shocked.

"They're very nice people," said neighbor Frank Krehmeyer. "This is hard to believe."

Wright said she did not know whether Monday's shooting involved gangs, in particular a group called the Black Mob. She said some district students are connected to gangs but she did not know whether those students were connected with students involved in Monday's incident.

“What we know for sure is that one of our children is dead, another is in the hospital, and another is in jail – along with his mother – as a result of a senseless violent act in our community,” Wright said. She said additional security and police officers have been on hand all day at all Hazelwood schools.

2. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

I'd like to know more of the story. By all means if there was a mob of upto 30 people outside my house throwing rocks, I'd call the police then head outside with my AR in hand, and side arm holstered, and tell them to GTFO. If they started to launch rocks at me I'd open fire too.

But did this lady just rush outside shooting? I dunno if that was a smart thing to do?

3. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

It seems like this could go either way. On the one hand, I can see a situation based on what we know where it would be justified to open fire, but I can also see situations were it would be a BAD idea.

Need more info I guess.

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Dunno how MO's self defense laws are but sounds like its possible they maybe cleared. Also so far no charges have been filed against them but they are being held.

5. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

If those people didn't come into the house to drag the kid out, they cannot go out there and start shooting. Why not call the cops, and wait inside the locked house? Unless more comes out saying people came into their house, then I think they should be charged.

6. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

What if it takes the police two hours to respond? What if in that time period they break every window in the house, and destroy the cars. They should just sit in their house and cower, waiting for the police to show up and protect them.

And after they show up, guess who gets stuck fronting the bill for all of the damage, it's not the kids, it's the people who own the house.

That's why I say I'd call the cops, but I'd go out to confront the mob of little shits before I get stuck paying for a bunch of shit. I wouldn't go out shooting, but I'd make damn sure they knew it wasn't out of the realm of possibilities.

7. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

I would go outside aswell and let them know the police have been called. Other than that, until they come inside or directly attack a person of the family you can't shoot anyone. I'd have firearms ready, but would not take the action of that women or her son.

8. Wave

Wave Carlos Spicy Weiner

While I tend to agree that going outside and opening fire might not of been the best idea, I can see where the rock throwing could be considered an attack on the family. Kinda depends on what rocks and how many. If half the windows in the front of the house were broken with some 4"+ stones, then I can see that as an attack with dead force. If they were little rocks bouncing off the window, then it's not really a big threat.

Edit: or they were throwing rocks at the mom and kid after they went outside...

9. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

ed zachary

10. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

:rofl: I didn't realize you added the "I'm sure they were in the honors program" to the article. I was thinking, "That's pretty generous of the guy to say about the kids."

As for the rock throwing, at least in Florida, it's considered to be thowing deadly missiles into a dwelling which is a felony. That can land the person up to 15 years in prison.