MMA Most underestimated Arts

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Placebo, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Atleast IMO from the general public

Sambo
    San Shou/Sanda

I have had opportunities to train with people of both arts. They are both excellent.

Sambo has great wrestling and obviously leglocks. Sanda is very similar to Muay Thai with explosive take downs.

Both are great supplements to almost any martial art especially BJJ. I'm looking for a gym with either as we speak

What do you guys think are underestimated Martial Arts?

2. Sammo

Sammo New Member

Kendo

3. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

I would say every traditional martial art is underestimated. Sure you will see the crappy 10 year old black belts and wussy 35 year old yellow belts... but that doesn't respresent the top tier of the arts well. Take the MOST athletic practitioner of lets say... kung fu and put him up against the absolute crappiest of the crappiest novices in brazilian jiu jitsu, and you can bet the kung fu guy will win regardless of his lack of ground game.

I guess what I am trying to say is that far too many people assume that just because they take a very effective style that they themselves are going to be able to perform it proficiently.

4. Sammo

Sammo New Member

Excellent point, I think a lot of people think that the traditional arts have no value at all, which is untrue.

5. metallikatz56

metallikatz56 New Member

6. Phill A. Peno

Phill A. Peno It's Filipino, stupid. OTTC, Cycling Crew, WRX Cr OT Supporter

7. ParamountOfHate

ParamountOfHate Heh

8. machine

machine Welcome to the Machine OT Supporter

take the MOST athletic practitioner of lets say...curling and put him up against the absolute crappiest of the crappiest novices in brazilian jiu jitsu, and you can bet the curling guy will win regardless of ground game or stand up.
    Great point.
    :hsugh:

9. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

Thats an unfair comparison, how about putting a equaly sized/strength with the same amount of experience kung fu'er against a BJJ'er. My money is on the BJJ guy.

I respect TMA and all that. But I believe in what works, MMA has proven itself all over the world.

And I think an underestimated art is Judo, a lot of people (especially sherdog) dog on Judo but Judo is a very demanding sport and I respect them very much. I wouldn't like to be thrown a couple feet in the air and land on hard concrete which a Judoka can easily do.

10. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

If both guys are equally as athletic and are the same size, sure the one who practices the more effective style will win. I was saying that it is possible for the traditional martial art guy to win given that the bjj guy really sucks. Trust me, a guy who is weak, practices bjj about once every two weeks/month and has no coordination can not pull off subs even on people who never trained before.

And to the above poster, yes say the guy who does curling is extremely strong and athletic. And assume the bjj guy is really small, weak, unathletic, uncoordinated, and doesn't practice as often as he should. I definitely would give the edge to the guy who curls. I've seen this happen many times in fact (not bjj vs guy who curls... but bjj vs no experience guy). The very worst guy's in our school's bjj club being beaten by people with absolutely no experience except basketball.

11. JustGod

JustGod New Member

I'll agree with judo, but think it's getting more recognition as of late.

12. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

yeah when it comes down to it, style is far less important than your training methodology and the person trying to use the techniques.

13. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

As I've said in the past, there aren't many bad styles at all, it's the way they're practiced.

Arts like bjj and MT are effective because you train as realistic as you can. You know how to use your technique in a real fight because you are pretty much in a real fight when you train.

Most TMA's may have good technique, but the minute a TKD or Karate guy gets punched in the face, he's going to be in a world of shit because he's not used to it.

If TMA dojos trained full contact, they would be just as effective.

14. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Eh I wouldn't go that far. Most TMA striking mechanics are simply inferior to that of say MT and boxing.

15. joechunkybutt2

joechunkybutt2 New Member

I think thats very true. Take for example a move in TMA where you block a person who punches this way and then you hit him here, but only if he is standing in this stance and doesn't move any other part of his body.

16. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

I would rather get kicked with a TKD kick than a MT kick to the head.

17. joechunkybutt2

joechunkybutt2 New Member

but you can break someone's arm in 9 places with a TKD kick.....:noes:

was anyone here for that thread in the main fourm?