MIL most uncomfortable breakfast ever..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Mint Berry Crunch, May 8, 2008.

1. Mint Berry Crunch

Mint Berry Crunch Active Member

So I'm sitting there at the DIFAC, eating my bowl of oatmeal when two Command Sergeants Major come over.

"Do you mind if we sit down?"

:ugh:

It's a square table with four chairs. There were plenty of other tables available. :squint: The one guy asks if I'm stationed here and what my plans were for the day. The rest of the time it was uncomfortable silence. :hsugh:

Not to mention the fact it was the first time I've ever said "Have a good day Sergeants Major" in the five years I've been in the Army. :o

2. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

wtf did they want?

i really fucking hate it whenever i'm at some mandatory gay day and am standing around BSing with my actual peers and some SM comes up and decides to try to pow wow with the troops. I usually wait until people jump into asskissing mode and then walk away.

there is no fucking reason for anyone higher than an e7 to bounce up and want to chat.

3. Mint Berry Crunch

I don't think they wanted anything. They were just too lazy to find another empty seat. The two questions they asked me was their method of small talk. :rofl:

4. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

wow.....fucking jackasses

5. SuperMaWiiOH

SuperMaWiiOH New Member

I knew some cool E-8s in the AF that I felt comfortable around, but of course I've also been around an E-8 and E-9 that were total jerks. I just don't understand why people are a rank, and not humans.

6. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

why are you uncomfortable around Sergeants Major? Some higher ups DO care about their troop's welfare. Maybe being with a wing, I look at it differently, since we're used to dealing wit a shitloads of officers and other higher ups, as opposed to a grunt who only deals with a handful of officers , ie. Lt for platoon commander, Capt for company commander.

7. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

im not in the military or anything, but i will once i graduate and everything, but my question is..

why is it weird? i dont know, but i think i would have had some kind of conversation with them. maybe im just talkative? i usually get along with teachers at school pretty well. im not a suck up or anything, just think the people in charge of me are there for a reason... maybe could learn something from them? could someone explain the weirdness to me?

8. Cobra Commander

Cobra Commander OT Supporter

someone of that high a rank come and sits down with me and starts to shoot the shit? The fuck man. I had some Master Chief stop me yesterday and ask what i had eaten at the galley--:ugh: :rofl: I told him sandwiches because the DFAC fucking SUCKS and I don't need grease dripping from my pores. It's only cool if the e-9 or whatever talks about work with me. Once they cross the line and try to shoot the shit I just laugh inside and try to walk away without noticing. Maybe I'm just a dick but it is kinda wierd when this sort of shit happens.

9. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

yea, youre probly just a dick

10. Worn

Worn New Member

I kept re-reading that goin how in the hell in 5 years you only said that once, then I saw the 's' tossed in there. That would be the most awkward goodbye from lumping them together, lol. I used to chat up a buncha e-8s and up and majors and some lt. colonels that rolled through my dfac. As long as you respect the rank, they always had time to say a few words. Most of them were surprisingly happy, I mean rank aside they are people too and with what nsxrebel said, they are interested in the soldier's welfare. And they always had time because my shift's short order cooks were hella slow and held the lines up, cause all ya'll wanted a burger..don't lie! :squint:

Last person I'd want to cold shoulder is anyone with rank even if your going "wtf is he/she doin talkin to me?!?"

11. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

:bowdown:

12. Mint Berry Crunch

It wasn't the rank that made me uncomfortable. It was the awkward silence the entire time with two E-9s sitting at my table. Hell, my "boss" in my last unit was a four star.

13. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

The awkward silence was probably due to them trying to initiate conversation and you avoiding it.

I don't have a problem talking to people, regardless of rank....especially if they are legit. If they are coming across as someone there just trying to show some "face" time...then I'll play their game, but I'm not one to talk to if you want to "hear" specific things.

14. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 New Member

Yea I had one of those when i was on duty as an mp....eating in the dfac was uncomfortable anyways since everyone hates you but i was just sittin in a corner trying to eat fast and gtfo when a ltc comes up and asks to sit down. I was just like "uhhhhof course, sir" He ended up being pretty cool and we just bullshitted for a bit but the first minute or two was like :run:

15. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Communication skills > you

:mamoru:

16. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

for a minute I was "WTF is DFAC?!" [​IMG]

Then it hit me. DFAC = Dining Facility. Kinda like a chowhall, amirite, but open 24hrs :mamoru:

17. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Exactly like a chow hall - and not open 24 hours.

18. dura

dura Guest

I can only stand that shit depending on what kind of mood I'm in. Sometimes I just wanna get in, eat, and gtfo.

in a perfect world that bitch would be open for 24hrs :o

19. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

I was being a smartass. ;) And the DFAC at some of the air bases outside of iRaq and Afghanistan ARE open 24hrs , like at Ali Al Saleem and Al Uedid.

20. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

definitely not open 24 hours. some supervisors can't get that through their skulls.

21. GochuBoy

GochuBoy OT Supporter

I've ate with E-8's before, but one was my PSG which got promoted to e8 and one was my former 1sg

22. GochuBoy

GochuBoy OT Supporter

it sucks 'cause you still have to be a solder/airmen/marine/seamen while trying to shoot the shit. I kind of understand his position.

23. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

I just have nothing to say to them and I don't care what they have to say nor do I care about them pretending to care about me

24. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Not in the guard. First name basis. Took me about a year to get that bad habit.

Air Guard to be more specific.

25. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I ate with the BDE CSM once. He just wanted to get a "lower enlisted" opinion of how things were going in the unit.