COMIC Most overrated writer?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by axio, Aug 25, 2006.

1. axio

axio New Member

In your view is..?

I'm going to go with Brian Michael Bendis. Yes, he is a good writer but jesus people would suck this guy's dick through an AIDS infested tube.

2. The Sirc

The Sirc Guest

Kirkman, some of his stuff is pure shit, love the guy, but facts are facts. Oh yeah and Alan Moore too.

3. Bobbot

Bobbot Safer than a Doombot!

I think that Bendis and Alan Moore are praised a lot more than usual, but not without merit; they write some very good shit.

Now Kirkman? He's not revered as godly as the other writers are, but in his own right, he deserves all the respect he's been given. He wrote Ultimate X-Men the way they wanted him to (not how I like it, but how Marvel wanted it), he's great on TWD, and I loved the Marvel Zombies mini.

However, when I think overrated, I think of someone who receives way too much praise for the little they deserve. In my mind, the first and foremost that pops to mind is Geoff Johns. Sure, he's good. But he's not great. Infinite Crisis? It was fun, but some of the plot devices were uncreative, i.e. killing lots of people and Superboy punches to fix inconsistent continuity problems. People revere him almost as much as Bendis, but Bendis can write dialogue like no other and weave plots with the rest of them. Johns? He just saved DC, that's all.

4. DiabloOwnr

DiabloOwnr Member

5. DevPool

DevPool So you like to play games, huh!?

I don't know the writers' names. :(

6. DoctorDoom

DoctorDoom Doom always keeps his word. OT Supporter

Try naming the stories instead, we'll probably figure it out.

I'm also going to go with Bendis. I think mainly because after he started getting popular, the hype surrounding him made my expectations too high and now his stories leave underwhelmed sometimes.

7. Ando

Ando CDN Member

So is that what happened in that shitty 'under the hood' series. why did i buy that?

8. Bobbot

Bobbot Safer than a Doombot!

Ahhh, Under The Hood...it would have been cool if they had just left his return a mystery, but nooooo, they had to go and gayify it. He came back to life because Superboy "punched the wall" and made ripples that made him not dead while he lay in his coffin. Then he clawed his way out, amnesiatic, and found Talia, who restored his "sanity" in a lazarus pit to show him what Bruce did to him. The whole SBP's are gay in general, but to just change one aspect of reality ipso facto like that requires a serious lack in judgment. If Winnick could have just gone another way, it wouldn't have been so bad.

But now, with the OYL jumps and everything, all of it is messed up. Who's where? What happened? It don't matter.

9. Ando

Ando CDN Member

face it, the story was awful even before the big (or maybe easy) explanation at the end, and it just got worse.

i only bought it because of the Hush series. now when i go back to this great series, all i will think about is winnick's trash.

10. void

void oh yeah?

i know a bunch of shitty writers, but i'm a huge fan of bendis. i love his little sarcasmisms and one liners, and his stories are top notch. from powers, to daredevil, to new avengers, it's all really good stuff.

and i still don't get how people can rag on kirkman, i'm not saying everything he writes is gold and i'm on my knees ready to blow....but he IS a great comic book writer. the end.

11. mooredodge

mooredodge 3,2,1 I'm the bomb...and I'm ready to go off in yo

:werd: I haven't read all of kirkman's stuff, but of what I have read, I never found anything that I thought "sucked".

12. owenstar

owenstar New Member

Garth Ennis