Most for my computer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DigiCrime, Aug 24, 2005.

1. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

Bought this computer last year in August i have to say im fairly pleased with it. I would like to get the most out of it, more ram, scsi drive possibly.

Specs
    http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/3726/3726sp27.shtml

Says its upgradable to 2 gigs of ram does this mean it can only hold 2 gigs of ram ??

Recommendation on SCSI card?

I have two sata drives in the system, 250 and 160 gig. Just broke my mouse last night mx518 optical mouse which I would definately recommend to anyone if they need a new mouse. ordered another one today

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Don't buy a SCSI card and SCSI drives if you have SATA right now. I've set up and tested a machine (P4 3.0, 1GB RAM) with a SCSI card and SCSI drive and a SATA drive in it (with the SATA onboard) and the SATA drive was faster. SCSI is so expensive and you'll see no benefit.

You could add another gig of RAM, but unless you're consistently using CAD and editing big graphics and video files, you won't see a performance increase from 1 gig to 2gigs.

Honestly, I wouldn't be spending any money on that system right now. It's already a fast machine, so I would just save up some money for a whole new machine in a year or two when dual-core procs come down in price a bit. (In fact that's what I am doing. The Sun Ultra 20 is supposed to have dual-core procs by the end of this year, I figure I'll buy one next summer.)

Good call on the mouse BTW, I love my MX510.

3. AeroSquid

AeroSquid New Member

You should call Logitech and have them send you a new mouse if it just died. If you ran over it or something you're probably out of luck. Right now the fastest drive setup is still Raptors in RAID 0 even though one is just as fast in most circumstances. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144160

If you really want to upgrade your pc, add a 7800GT or GTX to it, as i see you are on a pci-e card already. If you game a lot and are looking to the future, 2gb of ram makes sense; even now Battlefield 2 benifits greatly from 2gb of ram. Your upgrade path is should be guided by what you use your computer for.