Most comftorable sport bike for a bigger rider...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by ItchySac, May 11, 2005.

1. ItchySac

ItchySac Oh, thats the spot....

Here is my situation. Im 6'4 335. Obviously sport bikes are not made for guys my size. But unfortunatly Im just not interested in a cruiser or touring. Ive had a few good test rides on smaller bikes like an YZF600, ZX-636, and SC650. None of which seemed comftorable as far as where my feet and legs are positioned. So far the closest to comfort from a sport bike I have found was on a big ol Hayabusa and Honda Blackbird. I really liked the feel of the blackbird. Anybody have any reccomendations on bikes I should consider when I start shopping around?

Last edited: May 11, 2005
  2. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

Suzuki Bandit 600.

3. Peter Gibbons

Peter Gibbons OT Supporter

Bandit 1200, FZ1, Busa would all be perfect once you get some miles under your belt.

4. Wolf

You're gonna have to have the suspension reworked regardless of the bike you get.

5. Peter Gibbons

I'm not worried, I own a porsche and a bmw, I can handle anything.

6. ItchySac

Thanks for the replies guys. Ive thought about the FZ1 and will add the Bandit 1200 to my list of bikes to look at also. Im not a total newbie when it comes to 2 wheels. Been riding dirt bikes since I was 10. Currently have a modded RM250 and recently sold a KTM 500 that puckered the ass cheeks on more than one occasion. Test riden lots of friends street bikes. Finally gonna break down and come off the dirt to join them. I learned early that the bike is never responsible for a crash. Its the rider trying to ride beyond their skill level. I never reccomend someone getting more bike than they can handle. But in my case, I feel getting a bike that doesn't "fit" me may be just as unsafe. Im confident that I can practice enough self control over the throttle until Ive gotten the experience to use it.... Thanks again!

7. ItchySac

Any opinions on the ZZR1200? I was just reading about it and liked what I saw.

8. Wolf

:uh: Do NOT get a 1200 as your first streetbike.

9. Ronin

Ronin Guest

correct, no matter your size, the 1200 will own you into a guardrail/some other hazard

10. ItchySac

Not gonna argue it because I would never reccomend a 250 or larger dirt bike to a first time buyer. I should probably take my own advice as far as a street bike, I know.. I do still think its more a matter of self control though...

What about the ergonomics of the ZZR600? Anybody have an opinion on that bike?

11. Peter Gibbons

:flashback:

Having a flashback of Mr. I Can Control Myself/Everything.... oh wait, legal advise because I just tipped over an entire row of bikes at the dealership :/flashback:

That rationale is what gets people hurt.

Read the sticky.

Regardless of your ammount of self control, that much power on tap will get you in trouble and will be far less forgiving when you do make the plethora of mistakes that a new rider gets into.

The problem isn't just that a new rider can't handle the speed, all street bikes are more than fast enough to put you in a world of hurt faster than you can blink. It's that the power and power band will ALLOW you to get yourself into more bad situations and will magnify situations 100x that would be much smaller on another bike.

12. NoXeN

NoXeN You can find me up on one

the zzr is a sport tourer so its very comfortable..

13. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

a 600 should be pleanty for ya.
    Just go to your local dealer and see what fits you best. They dont let you test ride em but they let you throw your leg around em.
    good luck man Oh one more piece of advice get a Jap.

14. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

Check out the sport/touring bikes like Honda ST1100 and Yamaha FJ1200/FJR1300. They are plenty big for big guys, have decent power with an emphasis on mid-range torque and they handle remarkably well! For your size I wouldnt think a liter sport/tourer would be out of your league for a first road bike.

I ride a '93 Yamaha GTS1000. It weighs 640 pounds, has 100HP, handles excellent and is plenty fast for anything I need. Had it 6 years now and would probably get another if something were to happen to this one. I am 6'5", 220 pounds, I often have a passenger putting me over your weight and still find I have plenty of power.

15. Uween

Uween New Member

i love those blackbirds....... :cool:
    i dont see them riding around here to much now.....

16. about:blank

about:blank Whether you think that you can or that you can't,

The ZZR600 has excellent ergonomics but...

If you plan to buy new, the Hondas have better resale value so when you turn around to sell it when you want to upgrade to something bigger.

17. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Get a YZF-600R as your first bike. Either that or a Bandit 600, FZ6, or 599.

Yeah, you weigh a lot, but I'm fairly sure that one stout horse can move you by itself. Any bike with more than 50 hp will have absolutely no trouble getting you around just fine.

Weight is no excuse to go for a larger bike than you should for your first.

....with that said, I really like my XX. I'm a little guy though, 5'9" and 140 lbs. When you get some skill under your belt then start looking at the big bore bikes.

18. Indy48

Indy48 Flying > *

I recommend the FZ1, cause that's what I have (I'm over 6'2"), but not as your first bike, later when you've got experience.

19. DarqueGT

DarqueGT New Member

i'm 6'2" and I could not sit on a new Honda 600RR. The 750s weren't much better. My knees were coming up to the top edge of the gas tank. I ended up on a 919 instead and I love it. It fits me enough that I don't have to lean too far over to reach the bars....in fact I can almost sit up with it. I think that past 6' or so, you'd have to get a physically bigger bike. A 600 was just too small for me to be on comfortably.

20. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

I really like the 'Birds as well. I'd actually like to have one, but can't find one in a decent price range.

I'm also looking at needing a new car soon, so bikes are kinda on hold for a while.

21. Bret The Ripper

Bret The Ripper I

Im 6'3 and my RC51 fits me perfect. The twins have a lot more torque/midrange to help pull your weight around.

Look at a TL1000r or RC51 and sit on one. The RC is not comfy for anyone though. The seat is very long though. My small ass slides all over the place.

They are about as fast as a gsxr750 speed wise, so it wont be such a death trap as a 1200/1300cc bike. Lower the stock gearing a tooth or even maybe two in the front and your set.

22. bagged

bagged monsta truck

im 6'2 280 and my F4i seats pretty comfy for me

23. Aznpho

Aznpho Not Currently in Use

im surprised no one has mentioned the bike i want..

I'm 6'1" 300+ and after i learn on a smaller bike.. ima be me a 98+ Honda Interceptor VFR800i..

pretty quick for a pig of a bike.. its about 450lbs dry.. 100hp to the wheels.. not bad..

and its a sports tourer.. so u get the look and the performance but you have a better riding stance..

i would recomend it..

24. Aznpho

Aznpho Not Currently in Use

for most bikes you can get bar extenders or heli bars so its better for your back.. kinda more upright riding stance..

what ima do.. when i get my VFR is put heli bars on it.. hopefully the pegs wont be too high.. but the vfr is known to have lower than avg peg heights for the rider

25. BlMMERGUY

BlMMERGUY New Member

dude, no offense but you almost weigh as much as my bike. get a busa for gods sakes man tighten that suspension as much as it goes. If it's possible, please post pics of standup wheelies for novelty reasons. luck