GUN Mossberg question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RedDawg, Aug 1, 2008.

1. RedDawg

RedDawg Well-Known Member

If i pick up a Mossberg 500 Persuader for home protection can it also be used for deer hunting?

2. sprite

sprite Active Member

Why not? It won't be ideal but it will do the trick.

I'd replace the bead sight with a rifle or ghost ring type if you want to use it for hunting and find some rifled slugs it likes and you should be good to go.

The only other concern would be if the area you're hunting in has a restriction on magazince capacity while hunting... in which case you will need to get a plug for the tube to reduce capacity to the legal limit.

3. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

It only takes like 5 minutes to change the barrel on a mossberg. Look at their website and find the barrel you want then start calling discounters finding a good price on it.

4. RedDawg

well i've never been hunting before so i dont know what slugs/barrel would be appropriate. The only reason i ask is that a co-worker is an avid hunter and keeps asking me to go with him and i've always replied with that when/if i buy a shotgun that i'll give it a try.

I've been wanting to get a gun for home defense for awhile now and figure that i might as well pick one up that can also be used to hunt.

5. Initial E

Initial E New Member

Dont use a shotgun to hunt deer unless your state laws state that you have to use a slug gun.

You need to go out with him first and see if you like it.

I think a lot of times people have this crazy expectation that they bag a 12pointer on their first hunt. Hell even get a chance to shoot anything.

But if you do end up enjoying it, rifles are for hunting mid~large game. Not shotguns. Use a shotgun for turkey, pheasant, quail, dove, birds, etc..

6. RedDawg

i fully expect to just spend the whole day sitting in a tree and walking around in the woods.

so you would suggest not even taking a weapon and just sitting there watching him? I know he uses a .306 so you may be right about not being able to hunt with a shotgun.