GUN mossberg model 500, advice?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by apman0000, May 11, 2009.

1. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

I'm feeling the need for a new shotty, i have a 870 and an 1100 but i liked the feel and weight of the mossberg 500, especially since it's light and i need to teach my wife how to shoot a shottgun (and i don't want to let her use my 1100 lol)

anyone have experience with this model mossberg, has it performed well for you?

i'm seeing them in my area for about $350 new with 2 barrels and with the normal stock and a pistol grip.

I clean my guns religeously and have never had issue with my 1100 but my 870 has a hitch in the action and has jammed a couple times over the last year or so (not badly and certainly not a bad fail rate, but i NEVER hav had an issue with my 1100 and would like to add a new shotty to the family that will hold up like that 1100 has, i've owned both of those shotguns for years, and years)

any suggestions or advice or reviews on the mossberg 500?
    18.5" and a 24" barrell come with it, 12 gauge, etc etc.

thanks.

2. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

I have 2 of them (one for home defense, one for hunting) and I love them. Never had an issue with the action jamming, and I've put every type of shotshell you can think of through it. Accessories for them are common and cheap, they disassemble pretty easily, haven't had any problems with rusting/pitting. Its not going to win a beauty contest right out of the box, but that's always been the last thing on my priority list anyway. Overall I think they're good shotguns.

3. GFlem

GFlem New Member

I agree with the above post.

I have one set up for deer hunting and I've found it to be pretty accurate, and I like the furniture as well (blonde wood looks nice).

I haven't shot it enough to be a truly reliable bench-test for reliability but it's been flawless so far.

4. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

awesome, thanks.

i'll be using mine for trap shooting and some hunting (with the longer barrell) but will be swapping the barrell to the short barrell for home defense.

thanks a bunch for the feedback, god i love this sub forum

i guess i'll be buying 1 tonight after work lol

5. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

crazy stuff, never heard of an 870 'jamming'

didn't know it was possible

maybe you got a lemon?

6. sprite

sprite Active Member

Only time I've heard of it is with a tight and/or rough chamber.

7. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

The action sort of developed a hitch over the last year or so, it jams but not often, i'm not saying it's performing poorly but it isn't as smooth as it once was. I probably need to replace a few parts if i want to correct the issue, it just hasn't been bad enough to really get overly concerned. it still out performs most shotties i'm sure.

but it has certainly developed a hitch to the action and it's not a cleaning issue, it's just developed an issue over use over the years i guess. probably not a difficult fix if i just sit down with it and figure it out.

the 870 has certainly been a good shottie for me

8. GFlem

GFlem New Member

:rofl: my dad's had one for 30+ years.

The action is almost too smooth on it. Thing is like butter. :bowdown:

9. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

I have a 500 tactical. Never even cleaned the damn thing. Works like a charm every time. The finish could be better, butit's a home defense shotgun and it's main purpose is to go bang on bad guys - not look pretty .

10. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

ok, you do realize that with use some parts can wear and need replacement yes?
    i'm glad your dad's shotgun has held up for 30+ years with no problems, i wish i could say the same, but i can't.

11. UnNakedChef

UnNakedChef 2jz Sackrider Holder

Wouldn't it be better to let your wife learn on the lower recoil 1100?

12. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

the 1100 is heavier and i have the long barrell on it. she's 4'11" and about 100 pounds so about any shotty will be alot for her to handle really. to be honest i'm 1/2 way using the lighter and short barrell story to help get past the spending more money on yet another gun thing with the wife lol.

plus i don't want to let her use my 1100, i love that gun and have had it since i was a kid. i'm about as possessive with that gun and my 1911 .45 as i am with my wife or house lol.

I think i have a 26" barrell on that 1100 so it's a pretty long shotty and she hates it because of the size. (and if i don't tell her i could get a shorter barrell i can use that as an excuse to buy a new gun :) )

13. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

Why do your shotguns have such short barrels on them? Both of mine came with 28" barrels on them, as do all the ones I've ever looked at (with the exception of slug barrels and home defense barrels).

14. GFlem

GFlem New Member

Yeah, he's kept really good care of it.

15. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

I only hunt with my 1100 which has the 26" barrell on it.
    the 870, and the mossberg i'm gonna pick up tonight are for home defense and i'll probably take the mossberg to shoot some clays with the 24" barrell on it.

in my area it's pretty common to see a variety of barrell lengths, i assumed it was like this everywhere?

16. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

I got a M500 with a 26" IC & 18.5" open barrel for $215 after tax @ Big 5.

17. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

got the mossberg 500 with a 28" barrell and the 18.5"

out the door for about $350, it was the best price i could find anywhere around me. the damn gun club wanted $380 with just the 18.5" barrell.
    bass pro shops didn't have anything comparable, etc etc.

screw it, i like it and now i just wanna go shoot it,,,,damn it saturday hurry up and come so i can go shooting lol, gonna kill some clay's if it ain't raining.

I wish it didn't have an alluminum receiver but aside from that i love this thing and aside from that 1 thing (the alluminum receiver) i prefer it over my 870.

18. Gai

Gai New Member

Moss 500's are the best. I've always preferred the safety on top over the 870's. I've had both a 500 and a 590. Both were top notch. You can't go wrong.

19. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Got mine for $200 during their anniversary sale.

20. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

wow, $200 bucks. damn, the only 12 guage anywhere near me and the surrounding kansas city metro area that has a 12 guage for $200 is walmart and it's a cheap ass low end 870 that shouldn't even be allowed to be called an 870 lol.