GUN Mossberg 930 SPX Thoughts?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by bearsdidit, Nov 9, 2009.

1. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

2. PromptCritical

PromptCritical Agent of Entropy

Don't know about the 3-gun stuff but assuming it's reliable, I like it.

What's the price tag? Reasonably priced semi-auto shotguns are great.

3. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

4. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

I was thinking about getting one. Rather save up alot more and get a Benelli :o

5. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

Shit an M2 isnt gonna be too much more, at least used :dunno:

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Seen a few guys try to run those. They don't seem to be reliable enough when you stress them at the level 3 gun does. This is the truest thing in 3 gun. Get a damn benelli m1 or m2. The remington 1100 is the only other alternative and they work if you keep them clean. They do shoot the softest too as it's a heavy gas gun.

Many people start 3 gun with shotgun X but at some point if they decide to be serious go to a benelli.

Now the two shotguns that are still kind of a question and may work are the berretta and the saiga 12. On paper the saiga 12 seems to be a major advantage but people have yet to win with one. Taran has gone to a saiga but came in 4th at nationals behind benelli's and 1100's. Actually now I think about it 1 and 2 at nationals may of been 1100's. It might just be a matter of time as it is Taran and he just needs to get it together for open class. Ralph Arredondo and Chris E. have gone to berrettas and they do look promising. It's light like a benelli but it is a gas gun. These shotgun are so worked over who knows if a more stock style berretta would run for 3 gun.

Lastly there is the stoger. They got a benelli-ish clone. People say it's a M1 but it's not. It looks like a M1 but there is a spring under the handguard in place of the piston in the stock like the benelli runs. Word is they don't run but they are like 1/3rd of the price of a real benelli so people keep trying. I'd like to see people figure it out as I think it would get more people into 3 gun. Right now there is no extended tube for it but DMV is working on one so it's just a matter of time for that.

7. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

Thanks for the breakdown yar. LMK if you're still interested in getting rid of your 1100

8. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

unfortunately my 1100 is set up for open. I could configure it back to tactical but the ribbed barrel is ported so that would be a no no. the unported barrel has no bead, and only a red dot mounted on the barrel (started life as a rifle sighted barrel).

To me there is two ways to go. Best is to bite the bullet and get a benelli. Even when you get one, you need to have some work done. First you have to have a 24" or shorter barrel which is kind of hard to get. 21" or 22" is ideal, 18" will work. The barrel must be able to take choke tubes. Many people get a decent deal on a used long barrel benelli but then have to have the barrel cut and have it threaded for choke tubes. Then you have to have the lifter welded up so you don't rip off your thumb nail. while your at it you might as well get all the edges inside broken and the thing hogged out. So add $350 to the price of the shotgun for the lifter and slicking up the inside. Then you have to add a extended tube and a clamp so another $100

Figure a good price on a used stock M1s90 21" vent rib is $800. If you see one at this price by it immediately as it will not last long. Honestly $1000 is more the going used price for these. Then add the $$$ for the mods above. A built out used benelli for 3 gun ready to go is $1200+

A 1100 can be had on the cheap. You can maybe get a used 21" vent rib for $600. You will need to get a extention, clamp, and DMV easy lifter and drill out the gas ports. Then buy a big bag of the o-rings because that's a wear part. You can get a 1100 running for about $800. Problem is you'll shoot it for a year and then want a benelli.

I have a great 1100 but I got sick of cleaning it. At a big match when all the benelli guys are having lunch the 1100 guys are cleaning their shotguns. Lastly there is no ghost loading the 1100. Seems like many of the stages force you to start empty chamber bolt closed. Those that could not ghost had one less shell in the gun. Would have to type a novel to explain how and whys of the rules but short story is 1100 start with 8 and benelli's started with 9. that extra shell at the start usually ended up being enough of a advantage enough times that even people with good 1100 like myself ended up switching.

9. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

Ehhh, its going to be pretty expensive to start 3 gunning huh? Well, I guess I can do it piece by piece.

10. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

The only difference between an 1100 and 11-87 is the 11-87 has the ability to shoot 3in loads right?

11. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Honestly I'm not sure. I've heard that for 3 gun you want the 1100 for some reason, I don't remember why. Everyone runs the 1100's for whatever reason.

12. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Plenty of people start out with a pump gun like a 870 too. Nothing wrong with that. You know it's going to run, and it's inexpensive. It's just much more difficult to be good with a pump gun. There are a few guys that are screaming with pump guns and that can hold their own. There are some cops that shoot their duty short barrel 6+1's. They get crushed of course but for them it's more about good practice then prep for big matches.

13. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

Ya, I hear you. I guess I'll just keep my eye out for a used m1/m2 or 1100. i've been scanning calguns for a while, do you have any other recommendations besides gunbroker? i'd rather do a FTF transfer

14. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

OK I looked it up. The 11-87 gas system is not as reliable as the 1100 gas system. One of the big factors is the ability to run the inexpensive walmart bulk birdshot. Now that I remember my buddy with a 11-87 that doesn't shoot 3 gun has to run high base 6's to cycle his shotgun

15. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

great, i'll scratch the 11-87 out

16. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

www.brianenos.com is pretty good, as well as the uspsa classifieds section. So Cal being so big on 3 gun it's not hard finding a local deal. It helps if your out at the matches to hear of the deals. If you already got a rifle and you come out to a match I am at you can borrow my spare benelli

17. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

ya enos is a great site. i'll look into it. thanks for the offer and once I work on my skills I'll have to take you up on that offer.