GUN Mossberg 500 question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Hathegkla, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

so I have a mossberg 500 cruiser and the way it came it can only hold 2 rounds in the mag tube. I disassembled the gun and took out the wooden rod inside the magazine tube and now it seems that the tube can hold more rounds (I think its supposed to hold 5). so my question is do I need this wooden rod? I'm assuming it was only there to prevent more shells from being loaded (otherwise they would have made it out of metal??). anyway I don’t have any rounds to load it with right now and can't make it to the range so if anybody knows anything about the mossberg 500 let me know if I can throw out that wooden stick. Here’s a picture of what I mean. I have a cruiser not this model but it’s identical except for it has a shorter barrel and pistol grip.

[​IMG]
    its the wooden stick with the 2 black o-rings on it just above and in front of the mag tube.

Cliffs: can I throw out that wooden stick shown in the pic?

2. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

I dont own a shotgun, but yes I believe you can throw it out. IIRC its so hunters cant carry more than the legal amount of rounds when hunting.

3. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

Keep it in case you ever go hunting and need it.

Oh, and if you ever need to put it in or take it out, you can do it without completely disassembling it. Just take the barrel off, and shake the gun until the dowel end pops out, then pull it out.

4. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

yeah I took it out before I posted, I just don't have a manual so I wanted to make sure it wasnt gonna mess up the spring. I just wanted to make sure it was actually the plug. I found somthing on another forum looks like I was right. I don't plan on ever hunting with it (its too small and has too short a barrel), beside I have an automatic for that. thanx, looks like I'm good to go.

5. Big Daddy

Big Daddy New Member

I think(in PA) you can only hold 3 shots? If you game warden catches you he takes your gun..

6. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

Ohio is the same way, my cousin and friend were out there for deer season a few years ago and forgot their plugs so they used pencils. :mamoru:

7. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

lol, its just about the size of a pencil. maybe a little longer but it'd work :rofl:. I don't hunt with it so I'm not worried. pumpkins beware.

8. terrist

terrist Cowboy President > All other World Leaders

As far as I know the plug comes readily installed in many shotguns to comply with federal migratory bird regulations

9. terrist

terrist Cowboy President > All other World Leaders

10. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member