GUN Mossberg 500 or Maverick 88

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by James May, Mar 2, 2008.

1. James May

James May OT Supporter

I am looking for a hi-capacity (6+ shell) pump shotty. I am looking at Mossbergs Maverick, and 500 series. Likely a pistol grip (only, no stock) or a top folder. Please Opine.

2. McCroskey

McCroskey Jonny, what can you make out of this? OT Supporter

Mossberg has more toys that are readily available, the maverick not so much.

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Get a stock. You won't be cast for any movies but you'll have a useful gun.

4. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

:rofl:

Definitely get a stock, though. Way easier to aim and pistol grip + 00 Buck = ow

5. Resin

Resin OT Supporter

i have a 500...it's fine....although i'm not really a big fan of shotties.

6. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

The only real difference between the two is the safety orientation I think. I have a Maverick 88 with a 28" barrel. It's a good firearm. I bought it for about $140, and so far I had to replace one extractor claw for all of $10 I think.

7. PorscheRacer

PorscheRacer You see this? It means not welcome

Pistol grip shot guns suck in term of recoil. I bet the thing will end up just sitting a the closet/safe.

8. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

I'm still :rofl:ing over this comment... one of the funnier comments I've read here. :rofl:

9. Blip

Blip Active Member

I think I'm the only person in the world who prefers a pistol grip only. I have a Mossy 500 with an ATI grip.

I like to shoot it pretty frequently at the range, usually with a 80/20 mix of target loads and 00. I'll go through maybe 50-75 shells each trip. I usually load 4-5 target loads then the rest 00 buck. I've found that 50 shells with a stock and my shoulder basically is ruined the next day, and it becomes rather annoying to shoot the gun towards the end of the day at the range.

The pistol grip I find much more comfortable. Never bothers my wrist as I let my arm absorb much of the recoil when shooting from the hip or at chest height. If I'm shooting longer distances, say 25 yards, and have the gun up in front of my face and I'm aiming my wrist does absorb more recoil cause I have to stiffen up so I don't eat the end of the grip. LOL!

But I really don't do alot of 25 yard shooting. I keep it to HD distances, 5-10 yards. Even from the hip I will hit the BG targets every time at 10 yards.

I'd say get the PG and give it a try, you may find it's more comfortable to shoot and if you don't need to shoot zombie distances the accuracy will be fine.

IBpistolgriphate

10. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Yup.

It's a decent shotgun otherwise - just not so easy to rice out if that's something you're likely to be interested in down the line.

11. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

[​IMG]

mossberg 500 man, i fucking love mine :bowdown: