GUN Mossberg 500 crew, shitty mag springs?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by maleman876, Dec 15, 2008.

1. maleman876

maleman876 New Member

ive got a 590 mariner. first time i loaded it the mag spring got twisted and bound up in the tube. i freed it from the front with a rod, and it just bound again when i reloaded it. follower is fine, it slides perfectly. i figured it was just a spring, shit happens. mossberg customer service sent me a new one no questions (after them not replying to an email for over a week, and then waiting on the phone for an hour).

new spring, SAME problem! once you get over 5 or 6 shells in it, the spring binds up and wont return.

is this a common problem with these things?

2. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

mine is fine except that it always rust :o

500 btw

3. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

I've never had a problem with mine. Could it be your mag tube?

4. maleman876

maleman876 New Member

the tube is completely smooth inside :dunno:

i mean, its just a piece of pipe basically. not really any other criteria that i know of :rofl:

the springs are both ruined now, they have a big kink in one end and wont slide smoothly.

5. maleman876

maleman876 New Member

i know i can send it back, but id hate to pay shipping, FFL fee, etc if theres just a better aftermarket spring i can order. i think the problem is that the spring is tapered on either end and is narrower than the mag tube, and that give it room to twist and bind.

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

when you put on the mag tube you have to release the tension on the spring. The better tube extentions have either a free spinning cap, or a threaded cap at the end near the muzzle. The better mag extentions come in 3 pieces. A connector that goes on the gun, a tube that threads into the connector, and a free floating or threaded end cap. The proper method is to thread the tube to the connector almost all the way (about a turn or two left,) the end cap if threaded almost the entire way ( about a turn or two left) then lock down the connector to the gun just till hand tight, then lock down the tube just to hand tight, then the end cap just to hand tight. Another trick is to bend the the tips of the mag spring so there is no point digging into the end cap. If the spring is flat coiled on one end you can disregard that part.

If you do not releave the tention on the spring it will kink and twist when you tightenen down the mag tube. You can tell if a spring has been kinked when you take it out because it won't be strait. It'll have a nasty bend/curve at one point. Once a spring has been kinked I won't run it as it does effect reliability but other people feel it's fine.

If your extention is one piece or there is no seperate end cap then you have to be real careful not to kink the spring. So i would say chances are you are not installing the spring correctly or you got a garbage extention tube (whoa mossberg suck, insert 870 ftw comment).

It is actually fairly common and we see new guys choke and die ugly with kinked shotgun springs at 3 gun matches. Then they take apart the shotgun and lose their follower in the grass as it lauches into the air. Sucks to be fucking new.

7. maleman876

maleman876 New Member

im not running an extension. its the 590 with the 8 round mag from the factory. the end of the tube has a metal plug in it.

8. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

Does the tube look completely straight? Follow looks good? Try a non-mossberg replacement spring.

9. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

10. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

it's still the same problem. The mag spring is kinking as you screw the end cap on. Pull out the mag spring and see if it's strait.

Again design flaw of the mossberg you have, no way to relieve spring tension

11. Thunderbear

Are we thinking of the same type of endcap? The endcap on my 500 has no way to contact the spring:

[​IMG]

12. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

post pic of entire lenght of spring. The end cap maybe twisting it as you thread it on.

13. Thunderbear

Only spring bind I ever noticed was when I had a piece of shit clamp on the end of my barrel. You don't have that Tacstar shit on there for a light mount, do you?

14. maleman876

maleman876 New Member

the end cap does not contact the spring. theres a plug in the front of the mag.

when i am screwing the mag tube onto the receiver, i reached up into the receiver and pushed the follower in with my finger a few inches so it was not twisting.
    mines similar, the cap cannot contact the spring at all. ill post a pic when i get home tonight.
    negative

15. maleman876

maleman876 New Member

16. maleman876

maleman876 New Member

holy crap

i posted this on thefiringline.com too to see what they said. first reply:

so much win :bowdown:

17. maleman876

maleman876 New Member

looks like i did.

either way, it would cost more to ship a whole gun than a spring.

18. maleman876

maleman876 New Member

my beef is that i cant be the only 590 guy with this issue, and why hasnt mossberg redesigned it?

19. maleman876

maleman876 New Member

update in case anyone cares.

i got the wolff springs in and they work perfect.