GUN Mosin Nagant Refinish (pics)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Hibidi-Shibidi, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Hibidi-Shibidi

Hibidi-Shibidi New Member

In progress but just thought I would share.

So I finally got a Mosin at the Tulsa gun show. After getting it home, I had to take it all apart to get the cosmoline out.

Here is what she looked like broken down. Still a bit of cosmo that I hadn't gotten off yet:

[​IMG]

Up close pic to see the original finish:

[​IMG]

In my spare time I have stripped off the old finish (that shit is on there good) and started the prep work for the stain:

[​IMG]

Well, tonight I finally got to sand a little and get some stain on the upper wood:

[​IMG]

In comparison, you can see the difference between the stripped stock and upper wood:

[​IMG]

Well, that's it for now. I will probably lightly sand the stock tonight and get a coat of stain on it. I will be finishing it with either a linseed oil finish or Tru-Oil and it should be glass like in the final finish.

I will either keep this updated or make a new thread when its all done.

Thanks for looking,

Hibidi

2. eric5678

eric5678 striving for mediocrity OT Supporter

looks good

I need to get around to doing this to mine. It's still sitting on a shelf in the garage. :o

3. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

4. el capitan

el capitan New Member

i wish my wood looked that good. mine is physically in good shape, it just had stains all through it. for instance right behind the receiver its basically black. i thought about stripping it down again, and having another go at it. might be a good way to spend the weekend.

5. itchiban

itchiban New Member

Nice job getting it down to the bare wood. I tried that once on my M38 and said fuck it after sanding and stripping for a whole day and only getting to bare wood on a 5 inch strip on the butt end.

Looks good. :cool:

6. sqwirl

sqwirl New Member

Looks good. Mine is waiting to be finished. I started it in February and have been waiting to get back out in the garage to finish it. Unfortunately I let a friend store a sectional and a dining room suit in there till their house is finished so I can't work on it till that is gone.

I went with a real deep russian red. Shitty pic but it's all I got so far. The glare on the bottom is off the cd's.

[​IMG]

7. Aero277

Aero277 OT Supporter

:cool: That finish on the Mosins are beautiful as fuck.

I'm really wanting to pick one up soon. I can't decide whether or not I want to order one online, or wait for the gunshop we have to pick some in (I dropped by a week or so ago and asked them about it, and they said there just ordered some from Century Arms).

8. kill_turu_kill

kill_turu_kill Turu the Terrible OT Supporter

Which Stain did you use?

9. Aero277

Aero277 OT Supporter

. I must know.