GUN Mosin M44 Range Report.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Small Block LSX, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

My friend picked up a Mosin M44 from Gander Mountain. I am not sure why they started carrying these old guns. :wiggle: My friend snagged a 1947 all numbers matching in excellent shape with excellent wood and a folding bayonet. He got it for $99.95 + tax.

We wanted to shoot the gun immediately. We didn't want to wait for the internet ammunition to arrive. We bought some Grizzly Bear 7.62x54r rounds. They are steel casings with steel bullets. We spent like $45 on ammo between the both of us. The problem was that no gun range would let us shoot those rounds. :o Luckily, we found some brass at the range in that caliber and we were able to fire away. :bowdown:

We put the target out to 25 yards and every round we shot landed within the circle. After a few practice rounds we were creeping up on bullseyes. By the end of the day we were shooting the target out to 50 yards with the iron sights. :rofl:

Everytime we shot the gun the debris on the ground would move a few inches further down range. The gun was loud as hell and made people come over to look. It was a lot of fun.

Cliffs: Took old M44 to the range, put 100 rounds through it, not a single problem, and it was still very accurate with the old ass iron sights. The best $100 you could ever spend. Actually, I'd spend $500 on one. :bowdown:

2. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

i shot mine saturday with the hungarian surplus ammo... it shot awsome. very accurate. however, that fucking ammo is a PITA to clean. i cleaned real good with hoppes no 9 and i checked the next day and it was starting to rust. i had to clean it again and its ok now. that thing was loud as hell too. the gun doesnt have much recoil though, at least compared to my saiga 12ga which put a hurting on my shoulder.

its a damn good gun though, i might pick up another if i can find a nice tula one.

3. Small Block LSX

With Mosins you are supposed to use a 50/50 solution of water & ammonia first. This disolves any contaminents from the ammunition. Once you do that, then follow up with Hoppes or whatever you use to clean your guns.

As far as the kick, maybe it was the ammo. We were using 220+ grain ammo and my shoulder fucking hurts. It was fine for the first 10-15 shots, but it is sore today. :o

4. GAMBOA

GAMBOA Guest

I picked up two yesterday, It will be a while before I take them out to the range.

5. Small Block LSX

They are so much fun. :bowdown:

Just make sure you have a good massage therapist for your shoulder. :o

6. Small Block LSX

Screw the surplus ammo. I found a website that sells new brass ammo for $29.95 for 300 rounds. :) Granted, its slightly less rounds, but its quality shit that won't corrode the gun.

7. GAMBOA

GAMBOA Guest

wants links to:coolugh:

8. Gaunt

Gaunt blood for the blood god OT Supporter

you guys actually clean your mosins. ????

9. Small Block LSX

It's saved on my home computer "favorites" list. I think it was aimpoint? Something like that.. if I find it while at work I will post it. :)

10. Small Block LSX

11. Small Block LSX

12. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Both are surplus. First is Bulgarian, second is Hungarian.

13. GAMBOA

GAMBOA Guest

It's still corossive ammo. From what I read, there is no such thing as non corrosive surplus ammo for 7.62X54. I myself have no problem with corrosive ammo, just extra cleaning.

This site has good prices.
    http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/ammo-for-rifles/7-62x54r/cPath/12_42?osCsid=1e7c3bf28e91396b5f75065d2be8efb8

14. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

i got news for you... all that shit is surplus. im shooting the hungarian, and fuck aim surplus. they can suck a fat one.

15. Topgun

Topgun OT Supporter

I've been thinking about picking one up from gander too. Sounds like some cheap fun.

16. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

its great fun. the gun is damn accurate too. ammo is cheap as fuck, and you cant blast through it like with an ar or ak... makes for a very fun time.

17. Small Block LSX

It is, but I have yet to find a range (indoor) that will let you shoot steel shit. The brass is what is expensive. :(

18. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

why do you ask what you can shoot? i never ask what i can shoot, i just wait for them to tell me not to shoot it. only thing i asked about was buckshot for the saiga. they said no shot of any kind :greddy:

19. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

:bowdown:
    Correct! It's a $100 gun, you don't need to clean it. If it gets too dirty, buy a new one.

20. Small Block LSX

Because they will kick you off and I don't want to get kicked off. They also have numerous signs posted that you can't shoot ammunition that will stock to a magnet. Also, the bigger gun ranges have employees that are in the shooting bays and can clearly see your shell casings. :rofl:

21. Small Block LSX

Because most people respect their belongings. And, it isn't hard to clean, it's fun, and its something to do. Why not keep a clean piece of history in great shape?

22. Gaunt

Gaunt blood for the blood god OT Supporter

i got 1 for history that is in really nice condition that i dont shoot, and i have one that was beat to shit. i clean the beat to shit one ever couple of months. the ammo seems to clean it pretty nicely, gets all that built up rust out of them.

23. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

I live in a dry climate and hardly ever clean my M-44 and the bore still looks great.