GUN Mosin crew, some quick info

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by mstad, Nov 6, 2009.

1. mstad

mstad New Member

Friend of mine has been wanting to buy a new rifle ever since I got my AR. He started showing some interest in getting a Mosin since they're so cheap, and I told him I'd get some info on what to look for, but he went ahead and bought the first one he found locally. Fucking impulse buyer, just like me.

It's a pre war 1940 M91/30, and looks in great shape. Anything he should know about this particular rifle, other than what wattage bulb to use in it?

2. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

:rofl: @ light bulb

If he buys surplus ammunition, make sure he knows how to clean corrosive primer residue out of the rifle correctly. The action screws will loosen over time, make sure he tightens them down occasionally to keep the wood from splitting. Make sure he knows how to check the firing pin protrusion on it.

www.surplusrifle.com has plenty of information on these, it's a good reference until you really get familiar with the rifle.

3. Mystical Badger

Mystical Badger New Member

Also, if he wants to use stripper clips on it, he needs to get originals, as the newer reproductions don't work worth a darn.

4. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Yeah, if he buys surplus ammo the chances of him getting some stripper clips are pretty high.

5. Mystical Badger

Mystical Badger New Member

Oh, just an interesting fact, but the bayonet also works as a screwdriver, and he can completely disassemble the rifle using his hands and the bayonet.

6. mstad

mstad New Member

Would loctite be a good idea here, or is that something you need to loosen to strip and clean it?

7. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Maybe a drop of the blue stuff, the grade that's designed to come off again but no you normally wouldn't need to take them out to clean the barrel or get the bolt out. I just tighten them up every now and again though.

8. mstad

mstad New Member

I read on Box Of Truth that on the M-44, shooting with the bayonet extended will throw the POI off by several inches at 50 yards. Is the 91/30 that touchy too?

9. SNDP

SNDP New Member

it doesnt throw it OFF..... it shoots correctly extended ;-)

10. mstad

mstad New Member

Well now, that's a horse of a different color.

11. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

the bayo will through off the POI, but IIRC, they were designed to be shot without it.

12. mstad

mstad New Member

So, if I decide to join the lamp gun crew, which is generally considered a better Mosin to buy?

91/30 or M-44?

13. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

Both?

Anyone want to sell me some original stripper clips for the Mosin? I'm using some crappy brass ones.

14. grizzy

grizzy OT Supporter

I miss my m-44. Thing threw a 3 foot long fireball out when shooting while the sun goes down. Kicked hard, shot straight, was a ton of fun. Highly recommend it.

15. turbodan

turbodan OT Supporter

I've got a couple 91/30s. One is a 1933 hex Tula with a pitted bore and the other is a 1943 Ish. The pre-war rifles are better finished and generally nicer, but they all shoot the same. I'd rather have a rougher rifle with a good bore than a nice looking gun with a pitted bore. Lots of these have been counterbored at some point as well. Its nothing to worry about.

Unless the bore is really bad it'll still shoot fine, but it makes it more of a hassle to get clean. I think its worth spending a little more to get one that isn't all dark and pitted.

16. turbodan

turbodan OT Supporter

And thats the only way they shoot correctly. I dont like M44's.

17. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I really like my 91/30, I've done a Huber trigger on it and some smoothing work on many of the bolt parts. The bore is good with just a hint of darkness at the muzzle end but nothing to worry about. It shoots really nicely, you'd never know it was a 70 year old rifle.

18. spagina

spagina Active Member

Wrong. Simply wrong. The front sight is very adjustable. Remove the useless bayonet, slap on a Monte Carlo stock, do some minimal trigger work, add a muzzle brake and you have a very fun carbine length rifle that you can shoot for practice for less than almost anything other then a .22.

Add a scout scope set up, and you have a game getter as good as any out there. Heavy brush or open range.

19. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

1891 converted in '30? or is it a straight M1891? :x:

20. spagina

spagina Active Member

Everyone gets all anal about the bolts on these rifles sticking after a bit. Watch some utube videos and almost everyone fights the bolt. Bangs on it to get it to cycle.

The solution is to heat up the assembly in the oven or the BBQ, then hit it with some brake cleaner and a 30.06 bore brush attached to a drill.

The milsup ammo has a varnish wash to keep it "fresh". and after several rounds, it starts to liquify in the chamber and make it harder to eject a spent cartridge.

21. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

Not all milsurp ammo is laquer coated, Russian copper washed etc is not. Most of the time people get the "sticky bolt" is because they did not take the time to clean the cosmoline out of the bolt and barrel.

22. spagina

spagina Active Member

Right. Did that the first time I took it out. Thought I had cleaned it up with a good application of brake cleaner and scrubbing. After 3 shots, I had to use a hammer to open the bolt. Dried cosmoline is a bitch. Heat it up on the BBQ and brush the crap out of it.

23. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

:nono:

The strippers made by & sold "uglycarfan" on Ebay work flawlessly.

24. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

This.

If you get a milsurp and don't completely break it down to clean it you need your head examined.

25. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Sometimes it's caused by ammo as well. I know mine will feed lacquered steel case all day without a problem, but throw some copper wash steel into the chamber, and it's a bitch and a half.