GUN Mosin bolt sticking BADLY, need help

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 70Machwon, Oct 30, 2006.

1. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

Well, I have my 91/30 Mosin, and have about 550 rounds of this ammo left, and I think its jamming hte gun up bad.

About 40 or so rounds go NO [problem, then the bolt starts to stick very badly. I have to bang on it either with my hand, or sometimes with a rubber mallot to get it open.

IU dont know if its the ammo. Ive heard its Laquer building up. But right now, im just lost. My last batch of ammo didnt do this, this batch does. SO im guessing the ammo. Since i have so much, id like to find a way to combat this.

2. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

buy a new one :mamoru:

3. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

What kind of ammo?

4. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

not sure. Its got a silver case, and bullets are painted on the tips with red primers. Some surplus stuff.

5. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

Shoot 40-50 rounds of the surplus stuff...then shoot something in a brass case. Pick up the case and see if theres a bunch of shit on there. I did that with my AR when it wouldnt eject Wolf. It just turns out Wolf leaves a lot of crap behind after so many rounds. Worth the try maybe.

6. striker754

striker754 Chillin

something is wrong with your gun. i dont think the soviets had to clean their rifles after 40 rounds in the wars this gun was used in...

7. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

maybe buy a decent gun next time.

8. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

Try running a 12GA shotgun brush into the chamber you may have cosmoline built up that is heating and causing it to stick. Mine does this and I have not gotten around to trying it.

9. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

Just grind the corner that sticks, Its a fairly common thing on guns that use hotter commercial ammo and then there is a slight metal expansion because of high amounts of heat in a small area.

10. puppeteer107

puppeteer107 Be mine, sister salvation

I was in a similar predicament. I found this solution on a nagant message board because my friends 44 was having the exact same problem. Because of the wax and shit the reds used to keep the guns while they were in storage, the bolt gets fucked up.
    1) Do a really thorough cleaning of the gun. As much as you possible can do to get everything off the bolt.
    2) Go the range and shoot until it becomes hard to operate
    3) Clean gun and barrel again now that it's hot
    4) repeat 2 and 3 until problem goes away.

When the gun is fired the gunk left over on the gun heats up and causes the bolt to become hard as hell to operate. I tried it on my friends 44 and within two cleanings the gun became much, much easier to operate.

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/sticking_bolt.htm

Here's where I got it all from.

11. silversilvia

silversilvia OT Supporter

coat the bullets with WD40. get a zip lock bag and empty some rounds into it. spray a bit in and jiggle them around. just to lightly coat them. wear eye protection, if u put too much WD40 it will spray. i use to do this all the time when my bolt was sticking, and after i got a bent bolt it was a lot hard to work it.

12. puppeteer107

puppeteer107 Be mine, sister salvation

How do you like your 91? I saw them for like 90 bucks at the gun show on Saturday and I had to do a whole lot of convincing myself not to buy one. I'm thinking of getting one at the next gun show in January if they're still cheap :x:

13. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

Thats why i got it. Its a great can range gun. Blows gallon containers like nothin, we try to get them to fly across the range and into the trees.

Anyway. Thanks to everyone. I dont think its Cosmo, as I got it from a person who cleaned all that stuff out. But i will try all these things.

Thanks.

14. Ea2oo1

Ea2oo1 New Member

haha I have you solution just make sure im next to you at the range to help ya out haha like i do everytime. By the way I think I have the record of shooting a gallon milk container to the other range with the M1 carbine hehe

P.S. if you didin't know its me chris

15. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

Yea, but it doesnt top the gallon into the tree. that was funny.

But i did get it up to the tree line at the top. And yea, i knew it was you.

16. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I have no idea if this will work, but if you do this have sure you use all the ammo you treat, WD is a penetrant and I know it will try to get inbetween the bullet and the casing and in general can cause FTF.