MIL MOS Assignments?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Godspeed, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

Did you get the MOS assignment that you wanted when you first joined the military? Did you get atleast an MOS in your top 5? If not, were you able to make a lateral move to an MOS that you wanted after you served a tour?

I want to get into the Marines but i'm afraid i wont get any MOS that i like or prefer to have and will be stuck with something I hate.

2. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

I didn't know the Corps did they MOS assignments in that manner.

3. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

From what i've read, officers when going through TBS get to make a list of what they want as an MOS from most wanted to least wanted and they try to pick an MOS that serves the Corps the best as well as make the officer happy.

I guess i thought that was how the did it for everyone.
    How did you do it?

4. Accord

Accord New Member

The only guaranteed MOS assignments you can get in the Corps as an officer is if you go in under an aviation contract, a law contract, and I think there's one or two others.

For the enlisted side of things, you can get a guaranteed MOS field but not a specific job within the field.

5. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Yes.

If they didn't give it, I would not sign.

6. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

you enlist under an MOS occupation field, although typically when an occupation field only has one entry level position and so when someone refers to a specific MOS during boot camp it's because that's the only number for that field and their recruiter told them. if the field is sectioned though it's complicated.

the biggest example is 03 infantry.

you enlist with the 03 infantry occupation field on your contract, 0311 is basic infantryman which is the typical position assigned to that field.

you go through boot camp with the 03 on your record jacket until after boot camp and you go to school of infantry. from there you will be put into AIT where you may potentially be placed into a different subsectino of the 03 field, such as motarman, assaultman, or LAV operator which all are within that 03 field, though most often times or not you will simply be 0311.

if the field you have isn't as sectioned as the 03 field, such as TMO (31) or combat engineers (13) then you will simply go to MOS school and recieve the basic position 3112 for basic TMO and 1371 basic combat engineer.

after training you can elect to recieve more training within your field by going back to school and you can either tack on another MOS to your records or upgrade, such as to NCO combat engineer, or to being assaultman.
    as a reserve contract you are guranteed an MOS field and job and can not deviate from that. anything else otherwise and you would have a voided contract such as when they reassigned me to be a combat engineer. i could have ripped up the paperwork and left SOI and went home!

if you're office the only guaranteed MOS you can have is aviation or law because of the intensive training required, specifically flight school and law school. if you elect the infantry field you will most likely be generic infantry and leading a platoon whereas all other MOS, such as combat engineer, you will be sent to school for that particular MOS. fun tidbit is that if you fail out of law school or flight school you directly end up as an infantry contract or booted out. you get kicked out of OCS for a lot of simple things.

7. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

Thanks for the info.

I want to get the 1802, Tank Officer MOS then after my first tour, grabbing a 0203 as a second MOS and pursuing that. My only fear is that I'll go through TBS school thinking i'm going to get 1802 and end up getting assigned as a Ground Supply officer or something. I'm talking to an officer recruiter tommorow so hopefully i will be able to get some info from him about all this. I will come back and post what he said.

8. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

reservists give exact MOS :wavey:

9. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

I talked to the OSO recruiter and he said that when you go through TBS, you write down a list of what you want and a computer selects your MOS based on Marine Corp needs and what you put down so that it works out that around 90% of officers get 1 of their top choices if you are qualified and competitive.

I liked the OSO i talked to. He was a nice guy, but very straightfoward. Told me that he wants to get guys in shape so that when they get to OCS, they are highly competitive in PFT. He said he wants to send guys to OCS ready to be the top guy in their class. I thought that was :cool:

I asked him what I would needed to do, other than score high on PFT, in order to better my chances at getting my top MOS choice. He said "Be motived and be eager."

MOS assignments were pretty much the only thing i was worried about but now i'm pretty confident that this is what i want to do. I'm going to talk it over with the folks then if everything pans out, i'm going to put in my application for PLC :bigthumb:

10. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

OCS is a completely different mentality from boot camp. whereas during boot camp you get yelled at a lot and go through alot of bullshit games, all it boils down to are direct orders. every thing you do in boot camp is told to you, from pissing to eating to marching to sleeping. EVERYTHING is told to you.

OCS is different in that while you are still being yelled at no one will tell you what to do. you are expected to either know it already or pick it up as you go. also whereas the point of boot camp is indoctrination into the corps and to acquire the highest attrition rate possible, OCS is meant to find leaders and officers.

what does that mean? you can be the best in PFT and the first person to finish all your tasks but if the instructors or the commander of the unit at any time feel you are simply don't "feel" right you can be dismissed. that's that. they will call you in and say, sorry, you can run fast and all but you don't look right, feel right, and just aren't right to be an officer, not to mention an officer for the marine corps.