GUN More stuff for sale!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by phrozenlikwid, Aug 14, 2008.

1. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

So I need to sell a couple things, as I need to buy some stuff.

First, I have a spare 700 barreled action sitting around. For all you people wanting to build a 700 on the cheap, here ya go. It's a RH 700 heavy barrel model. Blued finish (which looks great actually).

26" tube, 1:12 twist. Added an old style trigger, which was adjusted and slicked up. It has the J-lock. I have another I'm building off of, so this one is getting culled from the collection.

Comes with the BDL bottom metal. All you need is a stock, and some glass/mounts.

I paid $375 for the gun, and $65 for the BDL parts. If you trade me $400, I'll trade you the gun and BDL bits. Contact me here if you want it.

[​IMG]

Next I have an AR lower. It's an Essential Arms forged lower (new production). It has RRA guts, KNS pins, Magpul Miad + TG (FDE), and a big-button mag release. Complete with the exception of a trigger and stock/buffer assembly. $175 takes it. No pics at the moment, but it's flawless.

2. sprite

sprite Active Member

Whats the chamber on the BA... .308 juding by twist?

3. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

My bad, I suppose that would be rather important. It's a 223Rem.

4. SNDP

SNDP New Member

damn if it was a little shorter on the twist I would be all over it. Looking to build a 1:8/9 700.

5. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

do they make a .223 remington 700p in 1:7 or 1:8 twist?

6. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

1:7 is fairly fast, and I'm nearly positive that no one makes a factory gun twisted up that fast.

Remmy doesn't do 1:8, which is a brainfuck on their part. I've actually written them to tell them how bad that sucks, but never even got a standard reply.

7. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Sell the barrel and get a aftermarket tube punched 223AI:dunno:??? You know you want to.... No point in fucking around.

8. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

There are a lot of ARs twisted at 1:7 to handle the heavier .223 bullets. I dont know about bolt actions though.

9. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Hmm.... Actually, I was looking for a good camera. At the moment, I need some cash as I have a seller who's cutting some of his collection and was nice enough to give me first dibs. He has shit I want, but I need more monies.

I'll see what I can work out, but I can't make any promises at the moment. is this a body, or do you have any lenses to sweeten the deal?

10. Alamo_Jake

Alamo_Jake Sorry I'm not sorry.

What kind of scope mount is that?

11. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

ar15 barrels come in 1:7 twist, why would it be any different?

12. eric5678

eric5678 striving for mediocrity OT Supporter

you willing to ship to tx?

can you get pics?

13. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

That was a Badger mount... It doesn't come with the action though.

Like everything else gun related.... It depends. 1:12 doesn't work for me, as I only shoot long bullets (62tsx, 75AMax). Both of these are pretty much a reloading only proposition (you might be able to get factory ammo, but it would be cost prohibitive I'd imagine). I planned on having this re-barreled, as I was looking for a 223AI to shoot the above.

Strictly depends on what you are wanting to get out of your rifle. 1:12 will give you more velocity on the lighter/shorter stuff, as it doesn't spin it as fast (also doesn't have as much of a tendency to nuke thin-jacket varmint bullets either). As a VERY general rule, you should be able to spin the 60-64 grain match bullets, as well as the 55 TSX (which is an excellent killing bullet) with a 1:12, and there's factory rolled stuff there. M855 won't work, as it's too long (though that stuff is largely expensive/dried up from my understanding). It's a trade off either way. When I said that I was referring primarily to myself I guess, as I generally shoot the heavies to take advantage of the superior flight characteristics further downrange. People have gotten by just fine with the slower twists for a long time (fast/heavy shit is relatively new as a paradigm), so take that FWIW.

Well.... For starters it's an AR, which isn't a turnbolt. You are talking different barrel lengths generally (usually 16" carbines with 1:7) which are usually slower (longer barrel = more velocity, which will spin heavies better), different bullets (mag-length constraints come into play here), and a different role.

You can find faster twists (I'm thinking of getting a 1:7 done up for the 90gr's), but they are custom tubes usually. Feel free to prove me wrong, but I'm not aware of anyone making a 1:7 factory tube in a boltgun.

14. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Fo' Sheezy; That was the shipped price.

That was a picture of the action. I suppose I can snap one now, but give me a bit (I have a final due before 9pm I'm working on). Anything in particular you are wanting to see?

15. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Unless you live in/near Northern Kentucky and want to do a FTF.

A stock isn't a firearm ;).

16. sprite

sprite Active Member

Savage offers 1/7 in a few of the 12 series rifles.

For anyone intersted Superior Barrels has a pretty good video out there of what happens to over-spun light bullets. 1:12 would probably be great for a dedicated varmint rig to shoot the lighter V-Max & V-Shock type bullets.

17. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

there are 20" 1:7 ar barrels :confused: i just dont understand why it wouldnt come even as an option from remington

18. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

That would be the million dollar question. Across nearly all spectrums, factory barrel twist hasn't kept up with current day bullet selection. It's lagging by a decade or so.

But then again, I don't understand why I can't buy CL tubes from FN in various bore sizes, why so many manufacturers neuter rifles with retarded throat/magbox geometry, and why they seem to make it a point to fuck up ergos like they do.

Maybe I should just start making my own shit. Wonder if Thomor's CNC production is coming on-line?:rofl:

And to the person who asked for pics - I lied. I'm sorry, I can't get any tonight. My GF has my camera. Those interested will have to take me for my word that the rifle is clean, or wait until tomorrow until I can steal it back. Sorry bout that.

19. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

do they make anything tighter than 1:12?

20. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Fastest that I'm aware of is 1:9, which comes in the SPS Tactical, and that abortion they call the VTR.

Sometimes cheaper/easier to just snag an action cheap and rebarrel it yourself. Then you can decide throat geometry, and usually have a better tube anyways. Not that Remington tubes are shit.... I've never had a problem with them (especially the stainless ones), but they foul easily, and they are harder to clean. A custom stainless tube is always a better deal.

21. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

well, i'd like to get a precision rifle someday and for the distance of 90% of the shooting i would be doing .223 would be fine. i'd just like a twist rate that could accommodate 75gr ammo