GUN More shotgun questions

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by THT, Jun 8, 2008.

1. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

For my HD M590A1, should I buy the following or are there better options?

Side saddle
    Speedfeed stock w/ pistol grip
    Surefire 623FA forend

Now for ammunition. I noticed that Northwest Loading had two types of Hornady TAP (non-FPD) 00 buckshot. The red case, marked as "light magnum" is loaded to a higher pressure supposedly to ensure proper cycling in semi-auto shotguns while the blue case is reduced recoil. So two questions:

1. Are there better shells to use?
    2. If I TAP is the way to go, do I use the higher pressure shells or the lower pressure?

2. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

if i had a mossberg i'd probably leave the stock alone since you'll have to break your firing grip to manipulate the safety. just something to keep in mind but that's not a deal breaker as i have the same issue (grip break) with my 870 and don't mind a bit.

side saddle is a must. personally i wouldn't waste my money on the tapco but if you do, make sure you tighten down the allen screws that hold the plastic holder to the metal plate.

as far as a light, surefire is great. one thing to consider (and i'm still doing so) is that the surefire drops the light a good bit off the bore so that might cause some issues if you're having to fire from cover

hornady tap are pretty much the best patterning buck on the market in a general sense. some stuff might shoot better or worse in your gun. you'd be best to buy a few boxes of a few different brands and pattern your gun at different distances and see which shoots best for you.

3. THT

The side saddle I'm looking at is made by Lyman or is that the same as Tapco? Regardless of the brand, I'm planning on using blue Loctite on the screws.

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

For a pump I definately recommend the reduced recoil stuff. You'll be able to get the shotgun back on target faster.

The offset of the light it not a big issue. You have to have your hand on the pump anyway so your not really going to be doing barracade holds off of table tops like you see me do in my videos.

The pump guys when they do a table top barracde hold stick their forearm down. Again this is mostly if you needed to get stable for a long range slug shot.

If a defensive shooting situation you would not want to get that tight up against your cover. If you back away at least a step you can increase you mobility, and decrease the amount of yourself you present as a target.

With a pump shotgun it is most important you can manipulate the light in bursts than anyhting else. For this you need something you can operate with hand on the pump. The tape switch stuff works better on rifle or a semi shotgun, but on a pump I think it is asking for trouble.

5. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

The mesa tactical side saddle (all aluminum) is the best I've seen for a home defense shotgun. If it was for competition I would want a 3gungear saddle (elastic loops)

The one I have on my 870 is a tac force I think. Don't remember got it so long ago. Planning on one day getting a mesa tactical 8 shell and cutting my surefire weaponlight/pump to fit. Also might as well get the old warhorse refinished as I have abused it really bad.

Shooting it in the rain at 3 gun matches and training.

6. THT

Should I be considering slugs for HD as well or stick to 00 buck? If slugs should also be used, what's a decent 12ga slug? Are Federal Premium Sabot 1oz Slugs worth the $2/shell?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  7. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the ring mount I use for my semi auto shotguns. I can mount one of my m6 weapon lights on it. I can get my regular hold on the fore end and work the toggle switch with my thumb. Again this won't work with a pump.

I use this setup for night matches, not really a HD gun. Still could you imagine trying to come down a hallway with me on the other end with 11+1 ranger reduced recoil 00 buck coming at you.

8. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

I have the 590 as well.

the surefire or the side mount for an M3/M6 is good. As for pressure pad or on/off, it's a tossup. With a pressure pad, if you remove your hand to open a door or move something, no light (unless you use your trigger hand). AVOID any of those cheapass mounts from AT or other places, those things are crap.

Side saddle is a plus. Whichever one you get though, USE LOCKTIGHT ON THE SCREWS!!

As for ammo, I like TAP or Federal LEO in 0 or #1 buckshot. 00 is fine too but like others said, get the reduced recoil stuff.

As for a stock. I love the Knoxx stocks. The recoil reduction from that along with the reduced ammo makes for a very dramatic decrease in muzzle rise.

Oh, and since you're getting the 590, then you HAVE to get the best HD accessory made for it...

[​IMG]

although you probably should get the one with the black blade. :big grin:

9. THT

The following are on the way:

100 shells of reduced-recoil TAP
    Mesa Tactical 6-shell side saddle
    Speedfeed III stock w/ pistol grip
    Surefire 623FA forend (Brightflashlights FTMFW!)

Tomorrow, I'll call and order the shotgun and hopefully by the end of the week, I'll have another zombie killer.

10. sprite

sprite Active Member

I'm a little late to the show but thought I'd say that the red TAP patterns better than anything else I've shot out of my 870. I've not tried the blue.

The Surefire forends are nice but expesnive. I use a TLR-1 on a mag-tube mount, similar to yar's setup (minus the freakishly long mag tube).

11. THT

I hate waiting! The shotgun and ammo arrive on Friday, the shell carrier, stock and 623FA will be either Friday or Saturday...

12. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

You'll need to cut off the bayo lug to use that Surefire forend.

13. THT

Perfect excuse to buy a new power tool

14. Iceburn

Iceburn Made in the USA

Will a regular ar bayonet work on the 590?