A&P More pics....lessons in taking people pics

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Jcolman, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Following are three pics of people. I thought you guys might appreciate the different approachs.

First pic. Little girl on a carousal. Using a fairly slow shutter speed of 1/30 sec. renders the subject sharp while the moving background blurs out. 50mm lens.

[​IMG]

Second pic. Little boy. 135mm lens. I loved the fact that his face was covered with candyapple residue and he's holding a red balloon. The telephoto lens blurs the background due to the shallow depth of field that is inherent in telephoto lenses. I also shot with the aperture pretty wide open to ensure the background would be nice and soft.

[​IMG]

Third pic. Nothing unusual, just that I wanted the man's environment to be part of the pic. 24mm lens. Wide angle lenses have a lot of depth of field.

[​IMG]

2. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

Could be me but they all look about 1/2 a stop underexposed. The composition is great. I really like the 3rd.

3. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

The pics aren't underexposed however the faces really could have used some fill light. These were taken years ago when I was fresh out of photo school.

4. Lodhiz14

Lodhiz14 Guest

These are some pretty Snazzy Photo's actually, I really like them. The 1st Photo is amazing! I've always thought of trying out Photography but I never got round to doing it, thats what you get for being lazy ;). Anyway great photo's dude keep up the good work (If you still do photography that is, lol).

5. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Thanks! I appreciate the compliment. I don't do much still photography anymore as I make my living shooting video. Still, I do need to get out more often with my camera.

6. red^star

red^star Guest

the first method is called "pan motion blur" for those who want to know.

7. bosox

bosox *

i think the photographer was on the carousel with the girl. if he was, technically he didn't pan. or did he? :dunno:

8. dmora

dmora Guest

1st one has too much blue. Under exposed, under lit.
    2nd and third need fill flash.

none of the images are sharp either.

:dunno:

9. RacerX30

RacerX30 New Member

Or maybe he was on the merry-go-round with her and no need to pan ? ;)

10. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

The shots arn't really underexposed, simply the faces aren't as bright as they could be. Especially the little girl. Black faces need some fill light to bring out their features. Look at the overall exposure value in the entire pic, not just the faces. I agree thought that the pics would have been better with some fill light.

The first shot was in the shade, hence the bluish tint. Open shade has a higher color tempreture than sunlight. Also, these were shot on Ektachrome, which is a bit more blueish than Kodachrome.

The little boy and the man could have also used a bit of fill flash. Both the little girl and the boy pics are sharp enough. You can see individuall hairs on their head. The lack of sharpness on the last pic is due to me trying to hand hold the camera at 1/60 sec. instead of using a tripod. Look close and you can see that his hand is blurred because it's moving.

But thanks for your comments anyway.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2004
  11. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Nice photos, obviously professional work. To the guy saying they aren't sharp, I'd imagine it is partially a result of jpeg compression.