A&P more pics for class... c&c

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by pawis, Jan 27, 2009.

1. pawis

pawis werd em up

eh, i didnt really spend much time this past week on this, so nothing spectacular. ive already narrowed it down to these 5 tho, just wanted thoughts.

assignment was to explore light and/or shadows. manual controls and no flash.

#1 was leaving for school one morning and saw this, snapped it while i was driving... cloned out a blurry lightpole, can you notice?
    [​IMG]

#2 lol, this was stupid, was driving on the strip and just did a long exposure while holding the camera on my steering wheel
    [​IMG]

#3 just trying to show lighting and shadows on a very textured object... tried to blow out the background to make it look like it was floating, but hard to do with desk lamps ; ;
    [​IMG]

#4 abstract view of some paper folded and taped together to showcase light and shadow... meh
    [​IMG]

#5 similar to 4... just with those massage thingies
    [​IMG]

:hsd:

2. mestizo

mestizo New Member

Really like #1.

3 is good too

3. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

1 looks great :cool:

4. f/2.8L

f/2.8L New Member

5. Asherman

Asherman New Member

#1 is nice, but I really like #4 as it seems to meet your assignment best. The image needs cropping, I think. The white blownout left and bottom right are big distractions. Here, I hope, is the crop I think would help:

[​IMG]

Damn! I can't get the image to show here, so the link is the best I can do.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  6. Smeghead

Smeghead New Member

7. Sympathy

Sympathy OT Supporter

nice pics

8. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

I dont like #1

4 is neat

9. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

for trying to fufill an assignment, 3 and 4 are your best, hands down.

They also happen to be the two I find most interesting as a whole.

10. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

My thoughts exactly.

11. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

I like #1. Just wish there was some land in at least the lower third of the scene. Then it would be perfect.

12. Tensai81

Tensai81 OT Supporter

my thoughts, take them as you will:

#1. I like the colors, but I would crop out the sliver of land at the bottom and put the sun in the center of the frame. the off center lighting makes my eyes wonder to the left/dark side of the image

#2. if there were less lighting sources this might be an....interesting picture. but I can't stand to look at it longer than a second without developing a migraine :dunno:

#3. I can't find anything technically wrong with it, but, I don't know wtf it is :dunno: is it a pin cushion, if so put some pins in it to help identify it. If you're going for texture, yes, you captured that very well, but I for one don't like going "wtf am I looking at?"

#4. again, I can't find anything technically wrong with it, but had it been me, I might crop the bottom up a tad to get rid of that empty space at the bottom of the pages :dunno: again just my preference (photography being subjective of course) I don't know what freedoms you have with PP in the course but maybe a bump in contrast/brightness to highlight the dark/light areas...

#5. not a big fan...maybe if the in-focus "spike" was a little more towards the center of the frame and more the primary focus of the image. The way you have the composition I'm drawn towards the in-focus image, then immediately drawn towards the apparatus in the background, I don't know what I'm supposed to be looking at

As always, art is subjective and it's just my take :bigthumb: :hugot:

13. pawis

pawis werd em up

thanks for the input everyone. i seemed to have wowed the class again, even tho i dont think they are particulary amazing pics ive taken, just everyone else seems to be lazy or just not putting any effort into it. the students seemed to like the acid trip that is #2, but whatever, i dont think any of them seem to know what they are doing. as we go through the pics on the projector the instructor has us explain what we are going for, and i think im the only one in there who can explain what the hell i was doing from a technical standpoint(why i used the settings i did, since we are to always explore manual mode, he will go back thro the whole batch of raws and see that i tried different levels of dof, and different angles, and just experimented... some people just go around school 15 minutes before class and take pics of nonsense, and hes looked at metadata and called folks out in class about it).

next assignment is speed and focus, and minimum of 1 panning style shot, where i capture something moving while the background shows movement/motion blur.

ive already got an idea to get 2 friends, one of them with a truck, that i can ride in the back bed of, while they are both riding on the highway and ill get some shots of the other guys car while moving 70mph... but one thing i wanted to try(and hope i dont jack up my camera) is to get a shot from really close to the ground while on the highway, so, im gonna set it to a 10 second timer, secure the camera strap to a skateboard and have the camera hang on the part of the board that bends so it aims up, and is stabilized by the board(at first i was just gonna hang the camera off the side of the truck and hope for a shot) and just hold the board over the edge and get it really close to the ground... hopefully i get something nice, and have a camera afterwards...

14. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

i like number 1 but would like some bottom to it, possibly the ground or something to relate spacial area.

I also find #3 intriguing but i would go another way with it and get in close to get the texture in full detail.

Also Pawis, if you ever need to me to come over so you can use some of my stuff let me know. Im in summerlin

15. pawis

pawis werd em up

thanks al, ill let you know if i come up with something that may require equipment out of my reach :)

i feel bad i used that object from #3 already, as i see in the syllabus that in a couple weeks the assignment is texture and pattern, maybe ill use it and just get in much closer like you suggested, but dont think my lens can pull that off ;)

yea, number 1 a lot of people in class liked, but really put no effort into it, i just saw the scene and told myself i need to try to get a picture of it, so half asleep still driving in the morning, i had to unzip my camera bag, take off the lens cap, aim out the window and hope i got something the original pic had a crooked horizon, the blurry lightpole on the left side(i got rid of it) and the bottom half was a huge empty dirty lot fenced off with the silhouettes of houses and stuff in the distance