More Networking Fun

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Jun 22, 2006.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I bought a Linksys wireless router to connect my NAS box to, and I want to use it as an access point only; I only need it to forward traffic from the NAS box to my neighbor's router (yes, she knows I'm using her internet). Here's the tricky part though: I need it to forward traffic from one of its Ethernet ports to its WiFi broadcaster, and I can't touch my neighbor's router. So how do I set this thing up to be a transciever without also being a router?

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You can't.

A wireless router can be used as an access point, but only if you connect the LAN side to the rest of the network and leave the WAN port open.

You might be able to find a 3rd party firmware that could do it, but the wireless router was never meant to transmit to another wireless AP.

3. deusexaethera

That doesn't make any sense. The antenna is effectively a fifth LAN port; if a traditional wireless access point needs to be connected through one of its LAN ports, then there should be no problem running the same connection backwards...especially since it's a two-way connection anyway.

4. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I don't entirely get the setup you're describing, but if it's possible, chances are OpenWRT can do it.

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

He wants to go NAS->Ethernet Cable->His Wireless Router->WiFi->Neighbours Wireless Router->Ethernet Cable->Cable/DSL Modem...

6. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

You need a wireless bridge, not a wireless router. 5Gen is right. If both routers do not support the same interpretation of WDS (Wireless Distribution System) or if yours does not support a Bridge or Client mode, then you will have to flash it with a 3rd party firmware that does or you are SOL. Your best bet would have been to get a WiFi bridge that is made by the same company as your neighbor's router (i.e. the Netgear WGPS606).

It doesn't matter if it does not make sense, that's just the way it works.

7. deusexaethera

When I said it didn't make sense, I meant that it didn't make sense for the firmware to not support that kind of setup. Obviously if the firmware doesn't support it then I can't will it to happen.

Phooey. At least I planned for this contingency and justified the purchase because I don't have my own router either, which I will need eventually.

Actually, I initially looked for something that would broadcast a single device's ethernet signal over WiFi, but I gave up on that after not seeing a single one in any of the electronics stores in the greater Loudoun County area. So I figured I'd give a shot at making the router act like a simple access point by disabling all of its more advanced features. Dammitall.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

This is *VERY* possible, and in fact I am doing something similar right now :) I have a linksys WRT54Gv5 running DD:WRT in the garage connecting to a DLink router in the house.

Google DD:WRT.

9. deusexaethera

Mark this date in your calendars, folks. For once I'm glad to see a dissenting opinion from Jolly.

EDIT: Fuck. I have a WRT54GC; it's not listed.

10. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:coold:

If I'm not mistaken, DD:WRT uses the OpenWRT kernel with a friendlier interface. A buddy of mine was telling me about it. I'm running HyperWRT on mine, but I may give DD:WRT a try sometime.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

It kicks ass. I hated linksys before. And most people complain about the WRT54Gv5... but I'm telling you that the combo of a WRT54Gv5 and DD:WRT is the *best* consumer-grade gateway on the market!

12. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Uh, I believe all three replies told you that 3rd party firmware would be required.