More $$ into CPU or Video card??

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dbman96, Nov 23, 2005.

1. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

I'm putting together a new mixed-use rig; some 3d CAD - Catia, Solidworks, Maya, Rhino; and obviously a good deal of gaming.

I'm currently looking at a Nforce4 based mobo (DFI probably?), 2 gigs of Corsair memory, and right now I'm THINKING to get an Opteron 146 or 148 with overclocking in mind. They seem to scale up REALLY well.

But I'm not sure if it really would be smarter to cut back on the CPU and upgrade my vid card... right now running a 256mb X800pro - the first of the x800 cards. I'm not SURE how much better the newer ATI cards have gotten since then. I've only got an Athlon XP1800 right now so I'm certain that's a big bottleneck in overall gaming performance because I can only run most new games up to 1024x768 or 1280x960 with full detail.

Should I be upgrading my vid card or will the stronger CPU make my X800 perform more up to its potential?

2. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i would go with the fastest processor your board could handle...unless it only handles something just a little faster, then i wouldn't upgrade the processor and i would look at getting a different board. athlon xp1800 is kinda weak when it comes to games...your video card seems sufficient.

3. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

First off, you can't go nforce4 if you keep that videocard since its AGP. Secondly, Opteron's are dirt cheap, so you won't be able to cut back on the price of the cpu much at all.

4. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

yeah I know I can't push my current board much farther. I think I could put an athlon 3000 on it but that's all, and right now my 1800 is clocked at about the same speed a 3000 runs at anyway.

Problem is, most new mobos dont even support AGP which is the kind of vid card I already have. Do you know of any socket 939 mobos that will suport an AGP video card?

5. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

Yeah, I was just looking at that issue. I think I can trade my AGP x800 for a PCIx card with someone, so I might be able to work that out.

Do you think the Opteron 146 or 148 are a good choice or should I be leaning more toward one of the garden variety Athlon 64 chips of the same price range? I've seen some outstanding overclocks coming out of the cheap opterons and they seem to be just smoking fast at most tasks.

6. carpet muncher

carpet muncher New Member

Here is the one I recently bought:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813130514

So far so good. I'm not sure if Newegg is selling them now or not, but it's a good start. :)

7. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

looks like just about every 939 AGP mobo is out of stock, I suspect nobody's actually manufacturing them anymore.

8. carpet muncher

carpet muncher New Member

9. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

get the opteron without a doubt. However make sure the board supports it. I don't think the AGP boards will.

10. Iron Scimitar

Iron Scimitar Platinum Member

I'm putting together a system right now... i dunno if my mobo will support my Opteron 144. I have the LanParty nF4 SLI-DR board. :eek5:

11. urbanride

urbanride Vodka Powered

any real cad card will cost more than most cpus anyway by far

12. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

yeah but nowadays most "CAD" cards are consumer 3d cards with different bios and drivers anyway.