GUN More guns equal more murders in U.S. states: study

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Jan 12, 2007.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - American states where more people own guns have higher murder rates, including murders of children, researchers at the Harvard School of Public Health reported on Thursday.

The study, certain to provoke arguments in a country where gun ownership is an important political issue, found that about one in three U.S. households reported firearm ownership.

"Our findings suggest that in the United States, household firearms may be an important source of guns used to kill children, women and men, both on the street and in their homes," said Matthew Miller, assistant professor of health policy and injury prevention, who led the study.

His team used data from a U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention survey of 200,000 people in all 50 states.

After dividing the states into four groups based on how many households had guns, the researchers found the states in the highest quartile of firearm ownership had overall homicide rates 60 percent higher than states in the lowest quartile.

In states with the most guns, firearm homicide rates were 114 percent higher, the researchers reported in the February issue of Social Science and Medicine.

More than 200 million guns are privately owned in the United States, according to the Justice Department.

In September, the FBI released 2005 figures showing violent crime had risen 2.3 percent nationally -- the first increase in four years.

© Reuters 2007. All Rights Reserved.

Now that the Dims have power time for the propaganda to begin.

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Wow a study that proves correlation and not causation. Whoopie. I'd like to see the same study done another way, perhaps in area's where there is a carl's jr murder rates are higher and areas with a hardees have a lower murder rate.

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

It actually reminds me a lot of a johns hopkins study I saw a while back. They compared the crime rates of states in the south and west with relaxed gun laws to states in the north east with strict gun control laws to show that relaxed gun laws make for more crime. If they actually wanted a academically meaningful comparion they wouldn't have ignored the geographic differences in crime rate and would have compared the crime rates of new hampshire and vermont to new york and rhode island. Of course that would be academically honest.

4. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Yep they conveniently forgot the most important factor to this study. If you just compare the entire state you are lumping in those metro cities with strict gun laws in with the rest of the state with much more gun friendly laws. Take Nevada as an example.

Las Vegas has stricter laws than the rest of the entire state but that study would lump in Vegas's crime rate increase with the rest of the state's crime rate drop.

5. I'll take my chances with my gun.

6. redna

redna New Member

Could it be at all possible that the higher concentration of guns is caused by a higher liklyhood of being robbed, mugged, or murdered because of the area they live in?

I think so. Talk about a swayed statistic.

7. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

There is realistically no way to prove, that if guns raise or drop crime.

That's why most humans have "logic", to bad so many can't figure out how to use it.

8. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Is it just states with more guns have higher crimes, or states with more guns per 100k people have more murders per 100k people?

It's a pretty important detail since more guns usually means more people, which usually means more murders.

9. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I would like to see a study about the murder rates compared to the first letter of a state's name.

10. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

Well you could test a change in gun laws. So go from door to door either giving out or taking away guns and then test the immedate change in crime rates. You're sample would have to be fairly large though.

11. CPipes

CPipes Shit definitely just got real!! OT Supporter

As i've said before, it's amazing how people can make the outcome of a study show in their favor.

12. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

13. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

werd

14. Telecast

Telecast OT Supporter

more guns, less crime - John Lott ftmfw

15. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

It's great how a single outlying year indicates a trend - CRIME IS RISING! :run: - when it helps their agenda. The 20 years of decline were just a statistical anomaly, but this one year proves they've been right all along. :bowrofl:

16. Joe_Cool

When you're a democrat and it works in your favor, correlation DOES equal causation. :noes:

17. Joe_Cool

Also, I'd like to see the actual study. I wonder if the name "Arthur Kellerman" is attached to it. :mamoru:

Got a link to the article?

18. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Data from the ... CDC? Oughtn't they be analyzing data on, oh, tetanus infections and the like?

19. Joe_Cool

They do. CDC tracks all causes of death.

20. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

The longer your state's name, the more murders. :rolleyes:

21. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

I don't think that would work either. There are just too many factors :dunno:

22. t1h

t1h Guest

states that have more people living in them have more murders :run:

23. states with more blacks = more murders. would they ever do a study on that

24. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

It says "more guns" (overall number) equals higher "murder rate" (per capita)

Wow, real smart there. Total numbers of one thing can not be compared to per capita rates of something else. I thought people that went to Harvard were supposed to be smart?

They probably wouldn't, just because they know what the results would be.