GUN More Fun AR talk (meaning questions)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by [DWI], Jan 31, 2008.

1. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I've had the bug for a while, but I may finally be getting around to doing something about it.

It got me thinking in ZCP M3's thread, when comments were made about the RRA bolt group. Anyways what brands does WMD recommend if I am going to purchase a completed upper?

and secondly after some mention of RRA parts kits (at least 2 stagers) being weak does anyone have any experience with or heard anything about the lower parts kits from Anvil arms, both one stage and two stage?

2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

as far as uppers go, CMMG, RRA and stag make pretty good complete uppers. If you want to splurge a little more you can go for LMT, colt or noveske.

i have a CMMG upper and RRA parks kit. the only problem i had with the parts kit was the disconnecter and trigger had a bit of a problem fitting together. some minor filing and fitting got it smooth in about 5 minutes :dunno: havent had any problems while shooting and it loosened up a lot.

LMT makes pretty good quality parts kits, dont know about anvil arms.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

my 1stage trigger is fine except I wish the pull was a little lighter.

4. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

the pull on mine is very smooth, and crisp. breaks after about ~3-4mm of travel.

5. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

As far as bolt carrier groups go, LMT, Colt, and BCM are top notch.

6. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i wish LMT made a 20" upper :o

7. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Odds are probably good that the 2 stage trigger AA is selling is the RRA trigger. Geisseielglieliselielleiee (spelling may be off slightly) is coming out with a new 2 stage trigger soon that seems better designed for about the same price. Don't forget that you can usually get an upper without a BCG and buy a properly staked bcg or just stake it yourself. I'd try to spend the extra few bucks for one thats properly tested and not cheap out with something like dpms.

Past that I think alot of people agonize way too much about uppers about stuff that probably won't ever matter.

8. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

You got any favorites or list of bolt carrier groups that are properly staked and tested?

I'm looking at doing a 24" Varmint flat-top style setup. RRA makes one (no without bolt group on their website) dpms makes one (is it just their bolt groups or everything they make that you dislike?) bushy makes one, but its getting pretty pricey, model 1 has 24" (they have more bolt group options than I can fathom.) Any guidance?

9. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

See my post above...

Also stay away from Model 1. FYI, adding length to the barrel past about 18" does very little as far as ballistics go. And has very little effect on accuracy.

10. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i thought that 20" barrels were optimum for .223/5.56 :confused:

11. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I want to do something a little different for an AR project, if I were building a standard AR I would probably go with a 20", but I looking at building a rifle that's only going to see the bench at the range or open spaces, unless there is an actual detriment to performance, I was planning to go with the 24" varmint style. Even is just so it is a little different from many of the other AR, I've seen way too many 16" around.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

mine is very crisp.

i just wish it were not so heavy.

13. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I think you're going to have to compromise at some point and decide if you want to save a few bucks and get better parts with a 20" rifle or want to be different and get the 24" and sacrifice a few other things.

14. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

So what is different between a 20" and 24" that really has any difference on price? RRA, DPMS, model 1 and bushmaster all have only a $10 difference between 20 and 24", though the starting prices vary.

I'm looking to a have a decent reliable gun out this, nothing too fancy, lower and upper, A2 stock and iron sights. Really the only items I have to play with are the LPK and bolt group.

15. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

20" barrels are pretty common, I would think that alone should let you find them at a decent discount compared to 24" but I haven't shopped for one that long either...

16. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I've stumbled across one topic I am not to clear on, excise tax.

Does anyone want to help clarify this for me?

What does it apply to, only a complete rifle, a stripped lower, a complete lower, a complete upper, or a complete upper and lower bought from the same source but not assembled into a rifle?

So could I save a few bucks in taxes just by buying a lower buy purchasing a complete assembled lower (or a stripped lower) from company X and then at the same time purchasing a complete upper from company X?

17. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

I've got a WOA tuned RRA 2 stage match trigger, i got it from ADCOfirearms, i like it a lot, i was very surprised at how clean it is, no idea how light it is though

I also have a WOA Varmint upper w/ the 24" heavy barrel

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/

$610 for the 24"

if i were to do it over, i'd just get the 20", unless you plan on doing very long distances (like 600yds+) 20" will do you just fine, the 24" is fucking heavy

[​IMG]
    Ignore the ugly scope setup, i dont have the $ to get an appropriately sized scope, i'd rather buy guns before the election and worry about scopes later