A&P More Dancer Shit v. C&C

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by aCab, Sep 29, 2008.

1. aCab

aCab New Member

I'm really starting to hate my post processing limitations. Oh, it also helps to start with a good picture to being with. :o

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flickr - for bigger

2. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

Get closer.

3. aCab

aCab New Member

Tight crops aren't my style. :dunno:

4. aCab

aCab New Member

Oh, and I don't have an Ultrawide, so even if I wanted to get close full body stuff, I can't. :wtc:

5. isaac86hatch

Well, then enjoy boring photos. There's a saying, "If your photos aren't good enough then you're not close enough." I have learned this in and out, especially for news and editorial shoots and have since gotten more views, more praise and have enjoyed my shots 10x more. Shots like that ^^ look very amateur since most newcomers to photography are scared to get right into to someone's kool-aid for the shot. But hey, it's your deal and if you honestly like it that is all that matter. But to me, you are shooting from too far away, your post is all over the place and you are obviously not paying much attention to background distraction. Also, every angle is the exact same "I'll just sit or neal here and you do your thing" kinda angle. Switch it up a little. Go high, go low and all over.

6. aCab

aCab New Member

:bigthumb:

I used to do tight crops, but in the case of this girl (not so cute), I decided to back if off. Close would not have been flattering IMO.

And right now, my post is all over the place cause I'm trying out new things. I'm just trying to get used to working with my lights right now.

Thanks for the advice though.

7. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

I wrote this for you while waiting on a download to finish. It's a true story.

Back in high school, in Junior English, our gay teacher told us one day that we were all going to stand up and go around the room each of us acting out a different verb of our choice. When we reached this one really awkward girl, she said her verb, "pirouette", and none of us were really surprised. If she talked at all it seemed to always be about ballet, and although she had supposedly been taking ballet all of her life, she didn't look like a ballerina. She was a bit more.. frumpy. She had long pale-blonde hair that looked like it had seen better days, and she was about as white as copy paper. She would never be referred to as "the pretty one", and probably not even as "the not-so-hideous one", but at least she had ballet, and she loved it. She spoke with an accent.. but she wasn't from anywhere special. Her smarter, uglier-but-less-frumpy sister, who spoke with no accent, once confided in us that she made the accent up, and had been using it for years. But she had ballet. When we reached her while going around the room acting out our verbs, she said "pirouette". Then she acted it out. It was a thing to be seen, or else not believed. The poise, the confidence, the grace.. she had none. She was halfway through her spin when she fell to the ground so abruptly that only someone often described as "frumpy" could have managed. Silence. No one in the class uttered a word, no one wanted to be the first. But everyone stared. She still had not looked up, as if staring at the ground would make it all disappear. But then.. laughter. Everyone turned as the teacher erupted with approval for the roaring laughter that was to follow. But at least she had ballet.. sort of.

8. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

I changed styles like 3 times in the second half. :ugh2: I was boring myself.

9. aCab

aCab New Member

So if you crop in a lot, how do you add environment?

10. W.Shatner

W.Shatner New Member

Robert Capa

One of my favourite quotes pertaining to photography. An excellent photographer as well.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  11. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

an empty warehouse =! environment.

environment means a lot more than 'place'. Your locations in these images do not add any environment to the pictures. They are simply a location. The viewer would 'get it' even if the subject filled the frame. You showing all of the stuff around her is kind of like beating the viewer in the face with the claw side of a hammer. Yeah, it's a barren, empty loading dock. Got it.

The question is, WHY is a ballerina dancing around at a barren, empty loading dock? Typically, the environment of the image would answer that question for us. But it doesn't here. It's just an isolated location for the sake of it being an isolated location....

I think you could really do something with these shots though. Crop the, tighter and make them about the girls form. It's obvious that you liked that sort of bent backwards pose thing, so why not frame the picture around that? If you had larger ones posted, I would have prolly shown you exactly what I mean...

12. isaac86hatch

Well, I did not want to mention a past master in an aCab thread. We've seen what happens. :rofl:

:love:

13. W.Shatner

W.Shatner New Member

I guess I missed that.

14. aCab

aCab New Member

:mamoru: A War Photographer? Go there, take pictures. Live to develop them. JK, for real.

ibhate