Morbidly Obese?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by bigboy, Aug 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigboy

bigboy New Member

What would be the best way for a morbidly obese (and i mean morbidly obese, 34+ stone) to start excercising and what would be the most effective diet for a person in this situation???

Mobility is very limited, as is stamina!

Gyms are out of the question, people have no shame and can depress a morbidly obese person without even trying!

2. jonno

jonno New Member

walk around, stairs around the house, whatever.. just keep moving.

if you are morbildly obese you should be able to lose weight very easily. you know what you should and shouldnt be eating.

3. bigboy

bigboy New Member

Its not that easy, as i said, mobility is very limited. I can barely make it up the stairs without breaking into a sweat and needing to sit down for a while

4. Galt

Galt Mindless Philosopher

there's no magic secret to weight loss. eat less and be more active.

5. Galt

Galt Mindless Philosopher

so make going up the stairs your workout. do it routinely and it'll get easier, you'll start doing it faster and more often.

6. jonno

jonno New Member

even if you just focused on diet i bet the weight would fall off..

7. Frank Dux

Frank Dux Guest

Cut down on some simple things that you eat everyday. Examples: Butter, Potato Chips, etc.

8. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

Hey man I hate to tell you, but breaking into a sweat and being tired is a good thing. The more often you force yourself to do it, and the longer you sustain activity in that state, the sooner you'll start to lose weight.

Diet is going to be a huge concern obviously. Listen to these guys.

9. bigboy

bigboy New Member

All great advice lads, I dont want to sound like I am making excuses, but looking for options to help me!

The doctor that I have genuinly does not have a clue on how to deal with this, he wants me to find out what is available.

The dietician just said to reduce food intake and work from the food pyramid which is not showing much result wise.

What I am asking for really is is there any place that I can get in touch with that knows how to deal with somebody my size?

10. Maestro Nobones

Well I'm not generally of the opinion that obesity is any kind of disease. It's a byproduct of our lifestyle, and until you change your lifestyle, you won't see much progress.

Sadly there is no quick fix, you gotta put in the hours and the mental dedication to change every facet of your life that affects your weight.

11. gosideways

gosideways sr20omg

The nice thing about being that out of shape is that literally ANY change you make will have a profound effect on weight loss. I guarantee you'll lose at least 5 lbs a week if you clean up your diet and spend 20 minutes a day on a stationary bike or elliptical. If those aren't an option, just do whatever to keep your heart rate elevated for a decent amount of time. You probably won't be able to go that long at first but you can work up to 20 minutes in a week or two. About the diet -even if you're a nutrition n00b, you can still figure out what is and isn't good for you like jonno said... basically stay away from saturated fats. Some people might disagree with me on this last thing since you're really overweight and might have heart problems, but fat-loss stimulants are a good way to get that mental/physical boost. I'd look into an ephedrine/caffeine stack and just keep the dosage reasonable. It will kill your appetite and give you the extra energy for cardio. It's really not rocket science but it does require a lifestyle change. Once you get into the groove losing weight is ridiculously easy for a person your size.

12. jonno

jonno New Member

no, god no.

13. Fartmaster

Fartmaster Scamming the scammers FTW

out of curiosity, why would he want to do that?

14. gosideways

gosideways sr20omg

I'm also curious about the protein intake. I figure the guy could care less about losing muscle than losing weight so is what's the purpose behind such a high protein intake?

I'm just going by what worked for me. I lost 40 lbs in 3-4 months with a decent diet, 20 minutes of cardio a day, and ephedrine pills. And keep in mind I didn't know SHIT about nutrition back then but I just kind of played it by ear and cut saturated fats out of my diet.

15. Fabian

Fabian Active Member

Yeah man, do the above. You can do it. We're pulling for you :)

16. Maestro Nobones

seriously. you can do it. keep us posted.

17. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

good luck, I have alot of respect for people who get in shape from obesity, becasue as was said...it takes a ton of energy for you to do even basic mobility tasks. It is admirable that you are trying this as an option, because the next logical step would be gastric bypass surgery, and I hope you won't need to resort to this.

18. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

you need to first understand the basis of weightloss, more calories used by your body, than you consume. Whilst following the food pyramid is great, you still need to drastically reduce the amount of food you're consuming. This will probably be quite hard, but you'll see results soon enough.

As for the stairs, set goals and try and break them daily. If you can manage 4 journeys up and down currently, try and beat this everyday.

19. Bobert

Bobert OT Supporter

I would just like to reiterate the points that most of the above posters have made, with the exception of gosideways.

You definitely have the ability to do this on your own and I'm rooting for you.

Good luck! Be sure to keep us updated, it'll probably even double as a motivator to have people curious about your progress.

20. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

drink a shitload of water so that you have to get up from the computer

21. dirtysouthboy

dirtysouthboy New Member

Get off the computer and do something, walk, clean the house, mow the lawn. Also i would cut out a lot of simple carbs- Sugar, white bread, white pasta and replace with whole wheat bread, rolled oats, whole wheat pasta. I would eat lean protein like tuna, chicken breast. I would try and cut out bad fats like ranch dressing and fatty meat and replace with good fats like flax seed oil, olive oil and fat from almonds. I would also eat more vegtables and fruit for health benefits and the usually don't have very many calories. Try to drink like a gallon of water a day But the main thing your going to have to do is reduce the amount of calories you take in ever day. www.fitday.com is good to count calories. c ya

22. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

Talk to your doctor about what would is a healthy heartrate for you, and invest in a heartrate monitor. When dealing with extremely obese people, you ahve to be somewhat concerned about heart attacks. The diet change should help immensly in the meantime though.

23. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

why in the shitfuck would you tell him to be fucking taking stimulants/thermos?

24. StPatty33

StPatty33 New Member

I'm in somewhat the same situation (though I've always been healthy for my weight). I started at 375ish about a month and a half ago. I cut my calorie intake down to 1800 (originally 1200 but I didn't want to shut down my metabolism so I upped it) and I usually try to burn 1000 - 1400 calories a day through cardio and lifting.

I factor in my Base Metabolic Rate and exercise and deduct my intake from that. If I hit 3000 calories lost daily then I've hit my goal and know that in less than 6 months of hitting my daily goals I'll arrive at 225--my ideal weight (I've got a large frame [6'4"]and am decently muscular).

I take whey protein after workouts and with a diet of 1800 calories, in order to not get too hungry I'm forced to eat better (since a large chicken breast is like 150 calories--the equivalent of 1/4th of a 99c bag of cheetos).

Also it's important to not think of your reduction as a diet. If you give in to temptation and splurge for one meal on a 'diet', you feel like you've messed up so that's that. Back to eating badly. If you know your goal is simply to lose weight, then you can work that much harder the day after a splurge.

I try to eat more meals/much less at each meal.

Also all I drink is water and crystal light (and protein shakes). I cut out soda months ago (I had only been drinking diet anyway) and I believe that's helped as well.

The scale I have at the house only goes up to 290, so I don't know the numbers of what I've lost--but I know I have. I'm guessing up to 20-25lbs.

I certainly don't claim to be an expert--in fact if any of you experts have advice to help me as well I'd greatly appreciate it

The most important thing to do in my opinion though is to write down every calorie you take in and every calorie you burn. No estimating--write it down.

I use www.caloriesperhour.com to calculate calories burned for exercise. It may not be exact since all metabolism's and BMRs are different, but I know if I keep doing what I'm doing I'll get where I want to go.

You can do it!

25. nathanbx

nathanbx New Member

dumping diet soda didnt make you lose more weight

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.