SRS moral dilemma at work

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by oakback, Aug 6, 2009.

1. oakback

oakback New Member

Part of my job entails getting rid of our old stuff, usually via donation to charities and non-profit organizations. Among a bunch of other junk, we have two large-ish items we need to get rid of, from our office in Jacksonville (I'm in Tallahassee, 3 hours away).

A guy 3 rungs above me (my boss's boss's boss, we'll call him Bob) is finagling things to have the items end up in his garage in Tallahassee. I've been doing what I do for 9 years, and I know all the possible ways of cheating the system, and Bob's doing one of them. It's obvious to me, and my direct supervisor.

I like to have a track record of being on the straight and narrow in my job, and I hate knowing that someone would get away with this under my watch, and letting it happen.

Additionally, it would be hard for me to prove without either following the guy that picks up the items to make sure he drops them at the charity, or somehow me visiting Bob's garage.

I never thought I would be a part of some bullshit like this, especially something so thinly veiled, Bob apparently has no tact in making something seem legit. I had originally arranged to have the items delivered to a children's group home (orphanage), but was told to cancel the delivery. My direct supervisor just keeps saying "oh, it'll come out eventually at the right time, he'll get his".

It makes me feel like crap, and angry that he can get away with this.

Details to support my suspicions, feel free to skip:
    I was in Jacksonville, getting rid of other junk, and could just as easily taken these two items to the children's home. He told me to cancel it, and that he would have them transferred to Tallahassee (waste of resources) to have them picked up by someone at "Charity A" that he knew. If Charity A didn't want it, the children's home could have it.

Now he's saying he wants someone from "Charity B" to pick it up in Tallahassee, even though Charity B has several locations in Jacksonville. We thought the children's home had precedence, but he informed us that "charity B was a prior commitment". We offered to take it to the charity B location in Jax, but he refused, said it HAD to go to the one in Tally.

I'm guessing he was trying to find someone he knew that could provide paperwork/receipt from a charity without caring about the legitimacy of it. He had me call a specific guy directly, who I'm most positive is not an employee of Charity B, but he said he knows so-and-so at Charity B, and he'll have the proper paperwork for me. I even offered to drop off the items for him, so he wouldn't have to come get them. Of course he declined. The whole time I'm talking to him, he's stuttering and doing a lot of "uuuhhhhhh...".
    When he comes to pick up the items, I thought I'd flex my social engineering skills to see what comes out, but I probably should just let it rest.

2. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

It sucks but I would go with this as long as this doesn't reflect badly on you he'll get his eventually...karma is a bitch

whistle blowers aren't looked at very highly either you could end up fucking yourself for ratting him out

3. Diesel66

Diesel66 My standards for women is like rent-a-centers stan OT Supporter

There are details that make this bad, but if you are giving away the items it's not really that BIG of a deal if it goes to some idiot vs some charity.

details include him profiting on the deal, company might face tax issues if it's claiming donations that were never actually made, etc...

4. teo

teo . => ? => !

What about this guy's boss? Does he care? Any way to anonymously tip him off?

5. oakback

oakback New Member

I'd have to have proof.

I guess I'm not looking to "fix" the issue, I guess what I'm wondering is, should I even worry about it? Should I let it bother me, or just chock it up to "well, that's how things work sometimes."

6. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

unless you have definite proof don't even think about bringing this issue to the table

7. adelacruz

adelacruz New Member

Thats up to you but why would you even worry about it if you cant do anything about it. Its not that serious some people are douchebags and its not worth fucking all your shit up over.

8. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

It sucks but you have to listen to your boss, the responsibility of the outcome of this is his. All the more reason why you need to distantiate yourself from it. If i get this right, the items are company property and this bob guy is a boss but not a owner of the company and just making sure those items end up in his garage.

Now if its only 2 items and 'that's it' , and never uses that system again i would let it slide,

Now if it is continued fraud and you want to put an end to it, then you need to send an 'anonymous letter (make sure its anonymous and never tracable back to you)' and send the letter to bobs boss, and tell your frustration about it.

The moment they know its you, you become the scapegoat and get fired, it always goes like that so be carefull.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  9. oakback

oakback New Member

Good point, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2009