GUN montana gold

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by gchang817, Nov 7, 2009.

1. gchang817

gchang817 DADDIO!!

Picking up the items to begin reloading. Seems montana gold comes highly recommended. i am purchasing 124 gr. and 115 gr. what is the preferred style of bullet... fmj, cmj, jhp?

2. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

FMJ for cheap practice. HPs for shooting at targets with soft tissue (i.e. thin-skinned animals or people)

3. no7fish

no7fish New Member

I assume from the weights you are referring to 9mm loading. I've never played with Montana Gold but I've always had excellent results with Unique, in any pistol cartridge.

4. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

How do MG JHPs compare to Gold Dots?

5. gchang817

gchang817 DADDIO!!

have not heard direct comparison, but would not use them for HD from what i have read. new to reloading so i am no expert, just going by what i read on the internets. i have also heard fmj's were more accurate, i also hear the cmj were better due to the fact it had covering on the underside of the bullet. wondering if anyone could explain the reason behind that.

6. AB13

AB13 New Member

Less smokey, less leading.

I buy 124 RN CMJ's by the cases. Montana Gold Bullets are the most consistent weighing and uniformed bullets I've seen at that price point.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  7. no7fish

no7fish New Member

lol, I was totally thinking montana gold was a powder... I suppose I was thinking of something else.:o

I've been using a lot of ranier's plated stuff but it's supposedly to be loaded using cast performance data. It def doesn't lead much as it's plated. Other than that I just use whatever is cheap except I use Gold Dot's for defensive loads. The only bullets I've ever had a genuine problem with is Golden Sabers. I got a bunch of .40's and the only weapon I have in that is the HK USPc. Apparently the polygonal barrel doesn't like the wider base on those bullets, which appears more pronounced on that caliber than other Golden Sabers I've seen.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009