monitoring software

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by The Ripper, Apr 12, 2010.

1. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

I was just asked by my boss to install some monitoring software on the pcs here at the office. What do you guys use. We want something that can run in the backround and keep track of browsing history.

One of our employees is emailing out information to one of our competitors. :wtc:

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

What's your budget?

3. Brandon

Brandon New Member

Browsing history can be covered by a web filter. Exactly how deep are you wanting to be able to dig?

At our school, we have software installed that tracks browser history, program history and even keystrokes (against my better judgment, but it was put in place before I started.) for all students with a school-used laptop that has our operating system installed. It is called LAN School -- might get you pointed in the right direction.

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Well, for email, I would look at the exchange server, or our mailgateway server (sits between the internet and exchange). For web logs, I would look at the firewall's logs. I wouldn't install anything on the machine though.

5. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

right now its open

6. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

Why not sniff it off the router/switch? Depending on how many people are on the network, use something like wireshark, capture all the packets and go through them that way. Wireshark provides a pretty easy way of organizing all the data easily. It's free and if you only need to do it a few times this may be a better alternative.

7. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

we got lan school, its exactly what he wanted. I was kind of taken aback when I saw what it could do. Oh well