Monitor Terminology + more

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by urbanlegend, Nov 21, 2006.

1. urbanlegend

urbanlegend One Love

I'm looking at getting a second LCD monitor to replace my existing one. I've had this one for about 5 years or more and want to get a bigger, widescreen monitor and give my current 17" to my brother.

When discussing Response Time, what exactly does G-to-G and B-to-B mean? I believe G-to-G is grey to grey... can someone fill me in?

Also, Samsung? Acer? BenQ? LG? Viewsonic?

I've liked my previous Viewsonics and Samsungs... any suggestions?

Thanks in advance:bigthumb:

2. Tvan

Tvan New Member

G-to-G = Grey to Grey
    B-to-B = Black to Black

The response times don't matter much once you get down below 8, but I can't tell the diff between my two monitors (12 and 16).

Samsung and LG are the world's largest panel manufacturers, and they supply most of the panels for the rest of the OEM's.

Samsung, Viewsonic, Dell (Samsung panels) and LG are the best bang for the buck. Apple displays are made by Samsung and will look the best, but will cost much more than panels of the same size. Same thing with the Sony panels, except that they really don't look that good, they just cost more.

My advice is to hunt around Newegg for Samsungs and Viewsonics, try to stay away from BenQ and Acer. Two friends of mine have 17" Acers that suffer from a low briteness, and two other friends have Hyundais that are really low-quality Samsung panels that I would not reccomend either.

3. urbanlegend

urbanlegend One Love

OK thanks. I was probably just going to go with a Samsung again because it's quite a bit cheaper than the ViewSonic.

4. urbanlegend

urbanlegend One Love

*The ViewSonic I was looking at had a speaker (which I don't want/require) and isn't HDCP equiped - ready for HDTV*

5. Tvan

Tvan New Member

Post up a link if you want me to double check it.

6. urbanlegend

urbanlegend One Love

7. urbanlegend

urbanlegend One Love

The LG has 16.8 million colours where as the Samsung has 16.2 million... also the contrast ratio on the LG is 2000:1 as opposed to 500:1... I presume this makes a huge difference.

8. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Yes it would. I had to google it to see if it was a typo.

That level of contrast ratio would be twice the price from anyone else right now.

I wouldn't hesitate to get that monitor (the LG).

9. urbanlegend

urbanlegend One Love

To my understanding, the actual contrast ratios differ in "real time" when using the monitors. I just wanna get the best bang for the buck and both monitors are at the exact same price for me... so really it's choosing which is the best monitor...

10. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

2000:1 > 500:1 /

11. Tvan

Tvan New Member

The LG would be better if that contrast ratio is correct on the same scale.

The number of colors that it can display really makes no difference considering that the human eye can only differentiate between a total of 10 million colors.

Just look around for reviews, don't just go by the specs. Reviews will cover a lot more than what the specs tell you, like if the brightness isn't uniform on the panel or things like that.

12. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I thought contrast ratings were like tire durability ratings in that they were only consistent across the same manufacturer.

For example, a 2000:1 contrast ratio is better than a 500:1 contrat ratio, but only if they're both made by the same manufacturer.

A brand x 2000:1 cannot be compared on paper to a brand y 500:1, or so i thought.

I recommend going to the store and checking them out. Make sure the monitor is set at it's "native resolution" when you're testing it, otherwise it will look bad. There's some LCD monitor test you're supposed to do in Notepad to check something... I can't remember it... you open a Notepad and make it full screen and type jljljljlj or something and fill up the whole screen, and you check for something, but I can't remember what.

Also, fill half the screen with IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII (capital Is). Then grab the window and move it around really fast. Do the Is stay black (good) or do they change to a color when you're moving it around (bad)? If they change colors, some users will notice this when scrolling down through webpages (your black text changes to colored while you're scrolling), which some people find annoying. It's kind of like how some people are sensitive to DLP TVs. Check this before you buy, IMO.

13. urbanlegend

urbanlegend One Love

I've been searching for reviews on both, and I will check them out first hand before getting either or.

14. urbanlegend

urbanlegend One Love

I know the test that you are refering to - trying to see how well the screen reacts to fast movement and if the colours stay with the images as they move.

15. urbanlegend

urbanlegend One Love

Reviews for the LG are scarce... but the Samsung has some good reviews.

16. urbanlegend

urbanlegend One Love

I saw both monitors in the store, but I was unable to do extensive "tests" to them. I did however, ask them to unhook them from their display and connect them to another machine so I could look at both of them in their native resolutions. Both monitors looked great. Both had the same connectors and practically looked the same (bezel, colour of monitor, stands, etc.). After looking at both and comparing (note that the LG's real contrast ratio isn't exactly 2000:1... it's been rated at anywhere between 1400:1-1600:1 - online sources), the LG was brighter, but did not have the crisper image. The colours seemed to "wash" or "bleed" out a bit. This, as well as the fact that Samsung really stands by their product/is known for great products led me to purchase the Samsung. I will also note that the trust Response Time of the LG was also 8ms, not 5ms and the Samsung was 4ms. Although watching movies needs those bright colours to show all the details, the brightness wasn't overally significant and the picture wasn't as crisp IMHO. Hopefully I made the right choice :x:

Cliffs: Ultimately, the Samsung seemed like a better overall choice. The LG was really nice as far as brightness went, but the whites at times were so intense that it kinda strained the eyes. I also kept in mind that LG is one of the only companies to offer such a high contrast ratio (most companies offer 500:1 or 700:1) and you can't always get a sure thing with the "newest technology" until time helps improve it. Samsung's track record thus far with monitors > *... or at least > LG.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2006
  17. Tvan

Tvan New Member

I've had Samsungs before, and have never had any issues. I doubt that you will regret your choice.

18. urbanlegend

urbanlegend One Love

Yup.. and thanks for the advice/help. :)

19. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

This is impossible. 24-bit color is always 16,777,216 colors. It has to be a typo.

OP: I have an LG 1780U and I love it. I think it has a 350:1 or 400:1 contrast ratio, so it doesn't hurt my eyes. Even if it had a high contrast, though, there's nothing stopping you from TURNING THE CONTRAST DOWN.

20. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

Panels that advertise 16.2M colors are actually 18-bit (6-bit each for R,G,B). They can only reproduce ~260,000 colors, but emulate the 16M additional colors by a method called frame-rate-control. They basically strobe 2 different colors and rely on the human eye's inability to see the switching if it's at a high enough frequency. The human eye will perceive some color in between.