Monitor Says No Signal *help*

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 3l_Chupacabra, Dec 20, 2004.

1. 3l_Chupacabra

3l_Chupacabra New Member

A friend of mine is having a computer problem with a relatively new computer. He had it at college with him and it was working fine, but then he took it home and plugged it in, and when he turns it on the monitor says no signal from PC. He's tried multiple monitors on it only to get the same result, and he says when he turns it on it doesn't beep. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't all BIOS beep once on startup, and if there if something f'd up in the PC they beep twice or something like that? He's listened to it close and says he can hear the CD drive boot and the hard drive sounds like it's going fine as well. So what could be the problem here? He's checked the port in the back of his PC and nothing seems to be wrong there. I'm going to go over there tomorrow to try to troubleshoot his problem, any suggestions on what I can check for, what I could do, or what might be wrong? Thanks a bunch.

2. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

That means the computer isn't posting. First off clear the CMOS jumper on the motherboard. if that didn't do anything, could be one of the following. dead CPU, dead ram, dead video card, or a dead motherboard. Try switching each out if you have the parts to see what is the problem is.

3. MacAlert

MacAlert Maxima driver OT Supporter

Make sure the video card didn't come loose he transported the computer. I know that might sound stupid but it's happened to me a couple of times.

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I doesn't sound like the video card is the problem. If that was the problem such as not being seated correctly, you should hear 4 or 5 beeps in a row instead of one for POST.

Maybe something else came loose while it was being transported? Pop open the case and at least check all of the connections.

5. MacAlert

My new computer does not beep. Only when I was testing it and forgot to plug in the power for the video card it beeped. Unless I've turned deaf since I put the computer together.

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Then if he didn't get any beeps when he turned the machine on, it's not the video card.

7. MacAlert

Well, not all video cards require a power source.......so the video card is still a possibility.