Monitor(s) not working...help please.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DSAzeppelin, Nov 7, 2006.

1. DSAzeppelin

DSAzeppelin New Member

Ok, basically my problem is that I cannot get any monitor to be read by my computer. I've tried three different monitors and my computer will not recognize them.

I thought my video went out, so I bought a brand new EVGA e-GeForce 7950 GT KO to run my new 30" Dell LCD monitor. And my computer still will not recognize the monitor. My old card was an ATI Radeon 9800 Sapphire or something like that.

So what could be causing this problem? I know some stuff about computers, but I thought it was just an easy video card fix....but aparently it's something bigger, and I'm not much of a tech guy.

I have an Asus A8n-SLI Deluxe motherboard if that'll help :dunno:

oh and I just moved back to Washington from Florida. My computer worked perfectly fine before I shipped my computer. I wrapped my computer up to make sure it didn't get damaged, but now that I'm home and attempting to set up my computer...I can't get the monitors to work.

So I don't know if something happened during shipping either.

it really sucks because I'm a freelance animator and without my computer I can't get any of my work done. I'd take it in to get fixed right away, but after the move, I don't have much extra cash. So I'd like to see if I could just fix it myself or buy some new parts before paying some tech guy $200 just to look at it. :hs:

2. RubiconSahara

RubiconSahara OT Supporter

Well process of elimination tells me it's the motherboard. I say this because you've already replaced the video card. Take it to a computer shop and get it tested.

3. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

If the monitor isn't hooked to anything, and it's a newer monitor, it should say something like "no signal" on the screen.
    So try that, only have the power cable plugged in, turn it on and see what it says if anything.

Whether it says anything or not, take the monitor(s) to another PC that is working correctly and see what happens.

If it works, then you know the problem is some where within your rig. If not, well you found the problem.

Also see if you can take your new video card with you. First test the monitor on the test rig's video card. If the monitor works, now test your new card in the test rig. If that works then it could be the mobo or maybe even the cpu.

Does your system have any BIOS POST beeps when you try to start it up?

4. DSAzeppelin

DSAzeppelin New Member

The only thing that sucks, is the monitor I bought is only compatible with my new video card, which is only compatible with this motherboard(PCI-express....other computer MoBo doesnt have it). So I can't really test it out with other things.

I've tried my old video card with 3 different monitors...and they don't even get the "no-signal" thing...just a black screen.

and no...I don't get any BIOS POST beeps when I start it up. Just turns on and runs....then just sits there.

5. skilledscion

skilledscion New Member

umm the monitor will plug into any DVI output graphics card. As for the card it will plug into any PCI-E 16x slot I have that card and that mobo. you might have the monitor plugged into the wrong DVI out on the graphics card make sure it is in the ouput #1 there are two #1 and #2. As far as the monitor goes it might not auto detect the Input type so if it is a D-SUB and DVI monitor(inputs will be two diff shapes sizes and colors if it is white is DVI) you may have to pull up the OSD(monitor setting menu), push the menu buttons on the monitor itself until you find the input selection and change it to DVI or digital whichever dell choose to call it.

6. DSAzeppelin

DSAzeppelin New Member

I only have 1 mobo that is PCIexpress(which seems to be the problem)

and I only have 1 videocard that has DVI(let alone dualDVI since the monitor needs that). So I can't try it out on anything else.

The monitor is strictly DVI, so I don't think that is the problem like you said about the input selection.