monitor refresh rate...hmm..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Neuman, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Neuman

Neuman Guest

Well, i got a new mobo, processor, and video card and now in bios, and during game play under 1280x1024 rez my monitor is wavy. The only way i can get it to stay still is with the refresh rate at 60hz..which is what i have it normally running at. but then in bios and gameplay it changes to 75hz. how do i change it to always run at 60?

athlon xp 1700+
    asus a7v8x
    radeon 8500

2. Spoon

Spoon Guest

I believe Powerstrip can lock your refresh rates for games (do a search or go to and look for it). Not sure about your Bios though.

Is something wrong with your monitor? Cuz your other hardware seems to be pretty decent. What games are you running?

BTW, 60hz aren't good for your eyes.
  3. Neuman

Neuman Guest

i bought the monitor this summer at circuit city...its a sony trinitron...the kind that came with the vaios...
  4. Neuman

Neuman Guest

wtf...ok so i decided to fuck with my hz in windows...and now its running fine...and bios is im at 75 now...what is the best for my eyes?
  5. Kabuko

Kabuko Guest

Generally the higher the better. 75 is good, though it's pretty much my minimum. For some strange reason though, I have a friend whose monitor (also sony trinitron i believe) supports from 60-200Hz at the res that he runs at, but it flickers horribly at all those refresh rates... Maybe it's the fluorescent lighting, I didn't have a chance to check w/o the lights on yet.
  6. Spoon

Spoon Guest

85hz is considered flicker free. But like the other guy said, higher the hz the easier it is on your eyes.