Monitor Question... again. Refresh rates/ Resolution Sizes etc..I'm a dumbass.da da

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mycophiles, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

The manufacturer for my monitor (viewsonic) says that the model I have supports 1280 by 1024 at 95hz. I don't have an option for 95 hz though. I only have 85 hz and when I uncheck show only setting for this monitor it doesn't give me 95 hz.
    http://www.viewsonic.com/support/desktopdisplays/crtmonitors/graphicseries/gs790/index.htm
    (I downloaded and installed the drivers.)

I have no idea what these refresh rates do besides change the size of everything on the screen. I'd guess that it does exactly what it says.. refreshes the screen a certain amt of times per ? X.

So anyway, I had been running at a much lower resolution but changed it a couple weeks ago and bumped the refresh rate. While watching videos the screen now sometimes freezes and I'm attributing that to what I've done here.

My question: Is 1280 by 1024 at 85hz better than 1024 by 768 at 115hz?

I'm guessing less will fit on the screen with the smaller resolution size but it will run the video's better. AMITRITE?

Also, just curious, if the manufacturer says it should run at 115hz at the 1024/768 resolution setting why wouldn't it be able to be chosen when the check box is checked (in display properties/settings/advanced/monitor). Don't want to fry my monitor. :hs: Though I will be getting a new one soon I will want to give this one to a family member.

Also, and this has nothing to do with what's going on but what the hell is the Spectral Code (color key) for? I've seen it before. Just finished a search on it that didn't turn up much. From what I gather there's some program/driver that used to be used with it? :confused:

Anyway, Thanks in advance. :hsd:

2. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

It's most likely your video card that doesn't want to do those high refresh rates. On a CRT, use the highest resolution that looks good, and the lowest refresh rate where you don't notice flicker. For most people, 70Hz and above will eliminate flicker.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I always had to run 85Hz on my CRTs. I hate it when people run 60Hz... That shit flickers BAD. On LCDs 60Hz is fine.