Monitor Options .. what to get. what to get.. hmmm

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mycophiles, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Looking at monitors at the moment:

I've used a Viewsonic GS 790 for years. It's been good to me but I want more viewing area so I'm thinking of getting a 21 or 22 inch monitor. I don't have the money for an LCD unless I get a 19" which wouldn't give me the extra viewing area, and since space isn't a problem I've been considering another CRT.

My questions are:

1. Are LCD's easier on the eyes.

I've been having problems focusing on my monitor lately and sometimes have to squint to read words. I've played with the focus feature on the monitor without results and probobly made it worse with my luck. I'm pretty sure the focusing issue has to do with tired eyes and was wondering if a CRT or an LCD would be easier to focus with after long periods of staring at the screen.

2. Are flat screen monitors easier on the eyes than non-flat screen monitors.

Question really speaks for itself. I've never really used a flat screen monitor for long periods of time so wouldn't know if I like them or not.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

How much is in the budget?

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yes lcd is easier on the eyes.

4. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Budget is around 150$. Friend from OT is giving me a deal on the LCD monitor. It will be new with warrenty. Don't know the brand or model though.
    ;)

5. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

If the crt has a high enough refresh rate, there is no difference on the eyes.

But lcd's are great from the standpoint of the perfectly flat screen, which
    oddly enough seems worse at first, because you get so used to the incorrect angle that crt's have.

But at $150, you really aren't so far from what it would take if you found a good deal on a bigger lcd monitor.

If your crt is still working, I would start watching the deals at www.fatwallet.com, and maybe even Newegg.

Every now and then you see a decent 22" lcd for $199 shipped, and for the small difference in what you want to spend, you would have a much better viewing experience vs. the 19" range.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I disagree with doc. The curved CRT makes ZERO sense. Flat screen makes total sense.

7. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

You misunderstood what I was saying.
    Flat is clearly better since it's a more accurate representation of what's going on.

What I meant was that when I went from a crt to the lcd, I was so used to seeing the distorted angle on everything that everything looked wrong at first.
    I know it was just my eyes playing tricks on me, but it took some getting used to.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i can honestly say I didn't have that experience. If anything, my eyes were thanking me... After 8+ hours of a CRT my eyes ache. I can use a LCD all day and not feel any discomfort.

I notice mild distortion with VGA. Using DVI things look very clear.

9. GooeyGus

GooeyGus I has Laz0rz.

I have a samsung 216BW. its a 21.6" widescreen. The 22" is a bit more expencive and not worth the .4" IMO. I couldn't tell much of a diff between the two at all.

216BW is on newegg for like 265 I think :bigthumb:

Found the link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001236&Tpk=216bw

EDIT: woops... didn't read the whole thread and missed the budget. I know there are some decent 19" wide-screen LCDs at that price though! IMO, LCDs are much easier on the eyes than a standard convex CRT.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008