Monitor just shuts off automatically....help!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Xin, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Xin

Xin OT Supporter

Well it seems to only happen if I'm playing an online game, I have no idea what would cause it. I'll be playing, and the monitor will just turn off, if I turn it back on it shows the red, green, and blue colors and says "your monitor is working, check the video/power cables" the power/video cables are all good, does ANYONE know what could be causing this? it's really starting to piss me off....

2. Penetration

Penetration OT Supporter

video card overheating?

3. percent

percent deluded

Video card sounds like the problem.

Def does not sound like a problem with the monitor. It shuts off because there is the signal coming from the card to the monitor has stopped.

4. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

Agreed. Best way to check the monitor is to hook it up to another computer and see if the issue persists. If not, then you eliminate the monitor from the equation.

Do you have onboard video, or an actual video card? If you have a card, maybe you could borrow a card from a friend, or buy a cheap replacement from Best Buy/Circuit City and try that out. If you don't want to keep the card, just return it within 14 days and get what you want.

5. Xin

Xin OT Supporter

I have a ATI Radeon 9700 video card. It was all put together not too long ago, and shows detail perfectly...it only happens during online gaming, if the game isn't online, it doesn't do it. I just installed new driver's maybe that'll fix it :x:

Oh and it's not overheating, I have TONS of fans in this fucker, and it shows the degrees on a display, the max it's ever gotten to was around 83F

6. Xin

Xin OT Supporter

Ok wtf, it's still doing it :ugh: It's not the monitor, I have an old, only use for homework PC, and it never did anything silly. Now that it's in this one at random it'll make buzzing noises and get some lines through it for a few seconds, and then when I play online, it just blanks out or just turns off, i don't get it. The video card worked perfectly from the computer I took it out of, not too long ago, maybe I damaged the video card somehow..that would suck..but I really don't see how it could be anything else. :wtc:

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

sounds like a memory, video card, cpu, or mobo problem.

It definitely sounds memory or cache-related, but all of those components deal directly with that. It could be any one of them that is bad. I'd run a memory test, and then Prime95 to stress out the RAM/CPU/Mobo.