A&P monitor calibration help

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by themolsen, Nov 7, 2008.

1. themolsen

themolsen New Member

I bought the Spyder 2 Express and I'm having nothing but problems on both my displays.

On my home LCD, everything looks too warm - especially in the grays - they aren't gray. Isn't OT dark supposed to be gray?

On my laptop screen, it's just a little warm, but blues have a tint of purple in them and the display is definitely too dark. And for some reasons, FireFox looks more off than other browsers

I have done everything the instructions tell me to do and have re-calibrated at least 5 or 6 times on each display.

What the heck is the problem?

2. FlashhslaF

FlashhslaF New Member

i'm having some issue with spyder 2 elite as well. It calibrated the monitor just fine, but when i hit the saturation button in Lightroom, it only saturates the yellows and the oranges.

I've been told that its the video driver color that is conflicting with the spyder, but i've yet to find any more info on it.

3. themolsen

themolsen New Member

first the huey fucks up, now the spyder is driving me crazy. what a crap shoot

I can get better color balance with my own eyes

4. OlafBeserka

OlafBeserka girls pee pee when they see me OT Supporter

What monitor are you using? It could be possible that your monitor has a wider color gamut than what the calibrator can read. I have a huey right now, and they are sending me a 3rd unit this week. Im hoping its a different model, if not Im going to sell all three and get one of the xrite models.

5. themolsen

themolsen New Member

Hanns.G 17" widescreen. nothing fancy. my laptop is a Lenovo T60p

6. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

how does the spider set the gamma and white point? Do you have everything set to 2.2 and 6500k? If not, make sure you do as that will have a pretty good effect on the color.

I know in the Huey basic, there are several choices you can pick, but you can't set the color points specificially. I remember reading that 'cool, low contrast' was the closest to 2.2 and 6500... So if you have choices like that, give that one a try.

My i1extreme has a TON of choices when it comes to all of the gamma, white point and luminance settings... let me know what options you have as you go through the calibration, and I can prolly help you pick the right ones...

But don't expect the monitors to match perfectly. There are enough subtle differences in the light given off by these monitors that your eyes will never perceive two to be identical. ever.

7. themolsen

themolsen New Member

spyder2 express doesn't give me any of those options. pretty much, just click "calibrate" and that's it. I just tell it what controls the display has (brightness, contrast, backlight)

I just did another recal and unchecked "backlight" (which my laptop has) and the color looks a little better. but firefox is still showing everything with a red hue. and overall, the brightness is too low

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  8. OlafBeserka

OlafBeserka girls pee pee when they see me OT Supporter

have you check the knowledge base with spyder? Im sure you arent the first person this has happened to so you might find some better explanations there.

9. themolsen

themolsen New Member

there was something about ATI cards in notebooks and needing to update to the newest drivers. I did that and still no change.

I'm downloading the spyder 2 pro software right now. maybe that'll give me better results

10. ej25power

ej25power OT Supporter

Mine works fine. :dunno: Maybe the Pro software will help. I neer even tried the Express software.

11. themolsen

themolsen New Member

a HA! the pro software did the trick. I had to try a couple different settings, but I got it to not look out of whack.

the only problem I'm having now is that everything in Firefox, including the GUI and the pages it loads within it have a redish tint and blues look purple. all other browsers and the rest of the pc look fine. I disabled gfx.color_management and it looks normal - so that'll have to do for now

12. themolsen

themolsen New Member

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  13. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

are your pictures saved in sRGB instead of regular RGB?

14. themolsen

themolsen New Member

yes, I shoot, process and print in sRGB normally

15. themolsen

themolsen New Member

anyone?

16. themolsen

themolsen New Member

I thought the spyder calibration was just a monitor adjustment - why are my color spaces all messed up now? This is very frustrating. PLEASE help

17. Spurious

Spurious New Member

Color management is the most frustrating thing I have ever experienced in my entire life. And even when you get it all sorted, you'll have created a walled garden of color perfect and when you send photos out to uncalibrated instances they will look different and terrible in all the ways a thing could be... Even writing this makes me want to die a little bit.

18. themolsen

themolsen New Member

I'm very inclined to just put my monitor color space back to sRGB and get it as close as I can with my eye (how it used to be). I have really good color recognition ability...

It was VERY close before - the spyder was just to get it dead-on. But this is way too frustrating to me for it to be worth it

19. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

unless you're doing stuff for print there is little reason to calibrate your monitor. as you said, you're going to get the pictures looking correct on your monitor, but the rest of the world doesn't even know about calibration so it is going to look fucked up.

that's why you have two monitors! :)