SRS Money is bad?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by mr cheese, Dec 10, 2009.

1. mr cheese

mr cheese New Member

So my grandmother is nearly 100...

she recently wrote off her car... (yes she only just stopped driving)

she's one of those weird people, been waiting and preparing to die for several decades now....

So my question is this...

It sounds like she's going to die soon, nothing much I can do, I live in a different state now, and she's so deaf, phone conversations are really out of the question....

Instead of worrying about her dying, all I can really think about is my inhertance...

I've never been close to her, I grew up in Europe, I saw her several weeks a year...and that was it...

Am I a bad person? :x::rolleyes:

Opinions, for the hell of it....

2. Jimeigh

Jimeigh Every rook and jay in the corvidae have been raven

money is not bad.

you cannot buy happiness with it, but nobody who's broke is happy. it is the means, not the ends. with enough of it, it can take you anywhere you want to go, but it cannot replace you as the driver.

3. 7960

7960 New Member

:ugh:

i see more happy broke people than I do happy rich people. but I'm talking true happiness, the day-to-day kind of happy. not the "I'm happy for this hour because I'm driving my $100k car" kind of happy, that fades as soon the car gets a scratch.

TS, you didn't have a relationship with her so it's not unusual for you not to really care (to put it bluntly). but I woudln't go advertising that around to your family.

btw, what makes you think you get an inheritance?

4. mr cheese

mr cheese New Member

Oh she lets me know there'll be money....
    frankly I have no freaking idea how much..and at this point... a thousand would be nice.... I've stopped caring too much, burt you know its kinda liek trying to win the lottery...it would be nice, but you know it aint gonna happen, so there's little point worrying about it....

She did just give me $20 K as part of a downpayment on a mortgage last year.... so I'm thinking I'll be getting something....

:rolleyes: I'm just bored at work mainly...seeing what other people think lol
    She may not die for all I know, she just wrote her car off though, had heart failure.... but I wasnt kidding, she's been planning her death for like 30 yrs.... the funeral arrangements have been ready since like 1991 !!!! so its difficult to tell..... but now other people are phoning me..... :rolleyes:

looks like this might be her last xmas, even though she's a staunch athiest and doesnt celebrate.... my girl doesnt understand my lack of feeling toward any of my family, I grew up on another continent....and I'm suddenly to "like" them:eek4: shrug.....

5. DubyaS6

DubyaS6 New Member

Although i am not just sitting around waiting on my older relatives to just die and leave me money, I have never really been close to any of them either.

I would be sad for about a day or so, but its really hard to miss someone you really dont know, so I understand what you are saying there.

6. mr cheese

mr cheese New Member

Yeah its kinda strange...my other half is from a huge family....
    she has 12 siblings... and they mostly all have kids..and there are other aunts and uncles and cousins....

and they are all (with a few exceptions) close....
    Its weird, its actually somethuign that attracted me to her...

but, in reality its also somethign we fight about, I'm simply not that good with "families" cause well even though mine is large, I actually dont know any of them..... I've spent a few hours here, a few there.... all my life, thats it....

I'm not sure I'd even be sad for a day when my grandmother passes....and she's probvably my closest family member.... I did like one family memeber, she really was nice, helped out a bit 9although I did it mostly on my own) when my mother died..... but then she married into the family.... then she goes and dies of brain cancer....then her husband, my cousin, kills himself last year over grief....:eek3: my cousin, his son, 10 yrs younger than me... then becomes an orphan....

but he'll be fine....he's got a degree from Oxford Uni...he's set for life.....I would imagine

I guess it could be worse...I know that...I could be close to my family, and they could all be ass sucking leeches....or something

shrug

7. jonno

jonno New Member

:rofl: so true

8. schmitty101

schmitty101 You might remember me from such films as "Dig your

what makes you so sure your getting an inheritance in the first place?

9. Daria

Daria New Member

I never saw my grandfather much. We never had much in common. He spent alot of time with me when I was a small child, because he likes children. When I grew older, we just never had anything to say to eachother other than keeping eachother up-to-date with what was happening in our lives. This was through letter-writing mostly.

As my grandfather's health started to decay, I didn't really go to see him or help him out because I felt so uncomfortable about it. I couldn't understand how I was going to feel when he passed.

I went to see him two days before he passed away and told him I loved him. He was barely capable of thinking or talking, but he said, "I know." So all this time, even though I didn't see him as often as I probably should have, he still knew that I cared about him.

When he finally passed, none of it hit me until the funeral and burial, then a bit more when my family had to fix up his house to sell it. A lot of my young childhood memories are there and him being there kept those memories alive. Now that they're selling the house, it feel's like someone else's memories are going to replace mine. That house no longer belongs to our family. It's also the house my grandfather built when he immigrated to Canada, so it's got a huge part of our family history in it.

I don't know exactly how close you are to your grandmother, although you've mentioned that you never saw her much. I can tell you that all of these things I didn't think mattered so much really matter now, like my grandfather's house. Losing my grandfather feels like a huge loss and I didn't realize his passing would feel that way. If you have the opportunity to visit your grandmother, you should do so, even if just to pop in and help her with anything she needs help with. Maybe you could take that opportunity to get to know her a little better too.

Like every family member, you didn't choose them like you choose your friends and they may act in ways you don't like. Despite that, they are still your family and a part of you. You should consider going to see her before she passes.

10. BoomBoomBoy

BoomBoomBoy Guest

Saying money is bad, is like saying guns are bad. :mamoru:

11. blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle New Member

I have a rather large inheritance coming because I was the only one that actually gave a crap and visited this family member with any regularity that lived far away. I didn't know they were rich until a disgruntled relative told me that I'm getting most, if not all, of it.

For me, it's not about what I can buy in the future, it's now given me the confidence to take more risks doing the things that I want to do instead of a job for a job's sake. I'm not well off by any means right now, but I'm really happy about 80% of the day now. I think the money will only hurt that when others find out I'm getting it all.

12. schmitty101

schmitty101 You might remember me from such films as "Dig your

Well your very lucky if you are in fact going to inherit all the money from your "rich" grandma. Don't blow it all, lots of people would be very grateful to have a bunch of money fall into their lap.

13. blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle New Member

I went to school for accounting and come from an immediate family of savers (Most of my extended family is another matter, hence disgruntled). I'll be fine. And it's my Aunt. Although, she's about 20 years older than my Mom.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  14. Harrison78

Harrison78 New Member

15. Effervescent

Effervescent New Member

Yeah, actually, that's horrible.

It's not money you earn't and you thinking about it?

What are you going to spend this womens money on? Are you really that excited?

It's horrible. Even if you don't know her, you should give it away or give it to someone who actually CARES about her.

16. Eurostaunch

Eurostaunch New Member

Money is only bad if you don't have much. Money used strategically can certainly lead to happiness. Obviously it's not as simple as just "buying" happiness but that is beside the point. Money gets things done. Money that hasn't been "earned" (lol) is worth just as much.

17. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

You're the moron who will blow it all on useless material things too :squint: what a waste

18. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Its more important to be independent, learn to fish for yourself instead of asking for fish (in this case money)

So an inheritance is nice, but don't put all your hope on a inheritance, its same if you put all your hope on a lottery ticket, what if you don't win, how are you going to pay the bills? The answer is by being independent and taking care of yourself instead of putting your hope on baseless grounds.

I won't blame you for wanting that money tho, everybody needs money/energy one way or another. I personally don't like the stigma of society that its wrong to have money, its more like 'if i don't have money, so can't you' kind of bs, that i really dislike. Its ok to have money, its ok to want money. Its ok to want even more :)

19. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

This question needs to be answered.

20. Jimeigh

Jimeigh Every rook and jay in the corvidae have been raven

no you dont. when i say broke, i mean people who have no money. not people who are maybe having some financial problems but are content with having little.

these people
    [​IMG]

are not happy.

21. 7960

7960 New Member

yes I do.

but hey, you know me and everything about me so keep pretending to know what I meant.