WEB Monetizing a small site

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by qwop, Jul 22, 2008.

1. qwop

qwop underground pirate OT Supporter

A bit of a dumb post, but I have no clue about this sort of stuff...

I only have a couple of sites, and they're primarily built on community spirit, with people submitting content - they're not about making money, and they currently run at a loss because I do it for the love of having the sites, rather than wanting to be rich.

One of my sites is a forum which has been online for several years and has no ads. It has a very small subscription model, but it's only so regular users can help me out a bit with the hosting costs, rather than providing any decent benefits (I don't want to affect the non-paying users by removing search or avatars etc).

I have another website which is content heavy. It has around 3000 pages on it but it's quite a niche market. It's been on its current domain for a few months and gets about 150 unique users a day.

Would that site be a good candidate for using adsense or a similar program? I'm not looking to make a lot of money (I'm sure I wouldn't!) but a bit to help towards the cost of hosting wouldn't go amiss. Or am I not likely to make anything using ads?

2. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

Hard to say without knowing the sites/content/layout and such.

But in general, most types of sites can be monetized one way or another.

The content site would probably be ideal for adsense even if it's not "niche" because adsense is contextual and will find something that relates to each pages content. You can usually make a lot more if you can find highly targeted affiliate programs for whatever the content is.

As for the forum, do you do anything at all special for the paid subscribers? Even just giving them a nice, really obvious, tag announcing they are "supporters" will work in most communities because of the pride and jealousy factor...lol, OT is probably one of the best examples of that but most communities work on the same principals.

Adding other benefits just adds to the pride thing but not needed.

3. qwop

qwop underground pirate OT Supporter

Cool, cheers for the info. :)

Yeah - the subscribers get some perks - more PM space, extra posting rights, less flood control, ability to change their names themselves etc oh yeah and a donation badge. Surprisingly, a lot of the people who donated requested that the badge be taken away (so there's a few options now, so they can choose whether they have the badge or not).

4. Deviance

Deviance Can't you smell that smell? OT Supporter

Put some ads up and make them not show up for paid members. Don't overdo the ads.