GUN Monarch ammunition

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by idleprocess, Dec 31, 2007.

1. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Academy's house brand of ammunition - Monarch - looks to be coming from Prvi Partisan these days. I've had good luck with their PPU Match ammo in my AR and was wondering what WMD's opinion of the stuff is.

I have no choice but to shoot HP or SP ammo at the ranges around here, so the cheapest local source has been UMC 45gr "Mega pack" from Bass Pro for $85/200. Academy sells 55gr SP for around $7.87/20. Works out to roughly $0.425/round for UMC and $0.394/round for Prvi. If nothing else, it's brass-cased and I can collect the brass in anticipation of reloading my own someday, and it's 55gr, so the ballistics will probably be closer to the mil-spec stuff that I can shoot on occasion at the range near my folks' house.

2. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

Monarch is the only ammo I've had problems with. I had a spent casiing get stuck in my AR because the firing pin pierced the primer. I haven't used it since.

3. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Do you know who made it? Was it Prvi, or did Academy have another supplier at the time?

As much nail-biting as I hear about steel-cased stuff like Wolf/Barnaul, I assumed that almost anything would be better. Perhaps not.

4. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

I'm not sure, this happened over a year ago.